Skip to main content
Topic: Final variant (Read 3322 times) previous topic - next topic

Final variant

Good morning.
I ask if it is possible to arrive at a result like in the attached image. These are the last two measures of a piece, with an ad libitum variant.
Thank you.
Happy weekend to you!
Lorenzo

Re: Final variant

Reply #1
Yep, "gap the staff" on both staves.

More completely, place a section end barline at the end of the normal ending, and set "Force a system break" on the top staff on this barline.
Then put a boundary change in <]>, select "Gap the staff" from "Stand alone print instructions" - try a gap of 50 for a start - on both staves.
Finally key in the ad libitum variant variant, placing more section end barlines at the end and again setting the top one to "Force a system break"

The only thing this won't do is put the dotted alignment lines in between the top and bottom ending barlines.

To achieve these lines you might try RickG's Markup tool:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9083.msg64688#msg64688

Also Opagust's user tool to make life easier:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=10207.msg73592#msg73592

You may remember this discussion:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=10198.msg73482#msg73482
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawrie,
I assumed that the solution was in the "gap" and I had also tried, without result. Now that I know that the way is certain, and moreover with your suggestion links, I will try again, also adding the dashed lines of connection.
Good Sunday to you!
Lorenzo

Reply #3
Here are the results
res. 1. from staves
res. 2. from the print preview
I couldn't get the wording "variant ad libitum" to stay more to the left, even if I inserted it in two lines. That is land of the gap and woe to penetrate it!
Well so too! I worked with Opagust's markup composer (thanks!) to create the copy/paste and then in the properties for later, small adjustments.
Grazie!
Lorenzo

Reply #4
Here are the results
res. 1. from staves
res. 2. from the print preview
I couldn't get the wording "variant ad libitum" to stay more to the left, even if I inserted it in two lines. That is land of the gap and woe to penetrate it!
Well so too! I worked with Opagust's markup composer (thanks!) to create the copy/paste and then in the properties for later, small adjustments.
Grazie!
Lorenzo

Maybe you can try to place  "variant ad libitum" where you want it with the markup composer too?
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
If you want to move the text more to the left, add spaces to the end of each text item. (A trick I have used before)

Reply #6
Maybe you can try to place  "variant ad libitum" where you want it with the markup composer too?
I tried and tried with markup composer, nothing to do, also the terrible "gap" area gets messed up. The solution proposed by Mike (thanks again!) is simple and effective.
A grateful Lorenzo.

Reply #7
An alternative to Mike's solution is just to treat the "variant ad libitum" as a text entry, vertically positioned at the same height as the lyric.  For horizontal alignment, put an invisible bar line just after the clef at the beginning of the lower line, and put the text to the left of the bar line, left or right justified as wanted, placed "at next bar." 

Reply #8
An alternative to Mike's solution is just to treat the "variant ad libitum" as a text entry, vertically positioned at the same height as the lyric.  For horizontal alignment, put an invisible bar line just after the clef at the beginning of the lower line, and put the text to the left of the bar line, left or right justified as wanted, placed "at next bar."
Can you include a short example of this? I think I know what you are describing, and it's something I have tried to do before, but I've never gotten it to work.

Reply #9
Can you include a short example of this? I think I know what you are describing, and it's something I have tried to do before, but I've never gotten it to work.
Hi Mike,
the key here is an "invisible" bar line (actually "transparent"), not a hidden one.
Place a barline, select it, and press <ctrl+shift+up> once - voila the bar line is now invisible:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Bar|Style:Transparent
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Versus:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
I think my attachment illustrates what I hoped it would, Mike.

Reply #11
Thank you both.  I understand the difference between a transparent vs. hidden bar line.  In the original request posted by @lawrroc (see the attachment at the top of this thread), he wanted the text to be completely to the left of the braces and clefs in the gapped section. David's example puts the right edge of the text to the right of the clefs.

The scenario I've had difficulty with is positioning text at the start of a staff (for example, the text "Refrain" or "Verse 2"). I would like the text to be left aligned with the automatic clef at the start of the staff, but no combination of inserted objects has been able to do that for me. I have always needed to right-align the text and fudge with extra spaces to get the left edge where I want it to be.

Reply #12
...The scenario I've had difficulty with is positioning text at the start of a staff (for example, the text "Refrain" or "Verse 2"). I would like the text to be left aligned with the automatic clef at the start of the staff, ...
You want, on the second or a later line, to appear a text that is left aligned with the clef there, i.e. the text starts at the left side of the clef reliably? I think one can write a user object that helps with that, which simply shows a text left-shifted by some inputable distance. The width of a automatic clef, key signature and time signature is known (to us, at least), and also the distances between them are stable. Thus, one can add them up and use this as the shift distance.
In the attachment is a hack of my XText object with added shifts; and an example for its use. It places the texts quite nicely, I think ...

H.M.

Reply #13
I probably should have qualified that my previous searches were for a "native" way to position/align text to the start of a staff. Of course, all is possible with user objects :) Thank you for the enhancement to your XText object.

Reply #14
Hm, I would contradict that "all is possible" ... but much, yes.
And that modified XTextShiftable is not an official version I will support or publish - it's just a hack for trying this  ;D

H.M.