Skip to main content
Topic: what key signature/cleff (Read 1697 times) previous topic - next topic

what key signature/cleff

Hello, I have 2 questions:
1. What cleff is this, because I want to key in the notes into Noteworthy composer.

2. I am not a good singer, but we try to have a senior quartet (old people), and for the first note, how does it sound, I want to use the pitch pipe tuner a Precise 13 note Chromatic C-C scale, as we see the song sheet, the key signnature is 4 flats. How can we use  my  pitch pipe tuner in order to know the pitch of the 2nd tenor first note. I tired to google but I did not find.

Thank you

Frank

Re: what key signature/cleff

Reply #1
Hey Frank,
that's an old style "moveable C clef".  The line or space (as in this case) that fits in the gap between the 2 sloping lines is middle C.

The modern shape of the clef is primarily used for Tenor and Alto clefs, BUT in those cases middle C is on a line.

If appearance isn't important to you just use a Treble clef but with the octave down setting applied.  I.E. Treble 8vb.
This will make everything look and sound correct.  If appearance is important then still use the Treble 8vb clef, BUT make it hidden and disable the automatic clef option.  Put a transparent barline at the start of each system and then use a text entry to put the Alto/Tenor clef symbol left justified at next note/bar  immediately prior to the transparent barline, making sure the vertical position puts the gap in the brace looking section over the C space.  I.E. halfway between where an Alto and a Tenor clef would sit.

Copy the below code and "Paste as New File" for a demo.  The rectangular box on the line "|Text|Text:" is the C clef symbol from the NWC Staff Symbols font.  It will look fine in  NWC.
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Text|Text:""|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:-3|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar|Style:Transparent
|Clef|Type:Treble|OctaveShift:Octave Down|AutoSys:N|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar|SysBreak:Y
|Text|Text:""|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:-3|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar|Style:Transparent
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar|Style:SectionClose|SysBreak:Y
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: what key signature/cleff

Reply #2
Frank, in addition to what Lawrie has explained, when you get these odd clefs you can sometimes decipher them by examining the key signature. 

In traditional western music key signatures, the flats and sharps will always be written in order.

You probably already know,:
  • Flat key signatures will always be written in this order: Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb and Fb and the major key is named for the second last flat, so, for instance, 4 flats will be Bb Eb Ab and Db, and the key will be Ab major or its corresponding minor).
  • Sharp key signatures are the reverse sequence:  F# ,C# ,G# ,D#, A# ,E# and B#.  Sharp key signatures take their names from the note that is one above the last sharp - four sharps will be E major.

In your example, the key signature will tell you which lines and spaces are B, E, A and D.