Skip to main content
Topic: Solfège note name tool (Read 1864 times) previous topic - next topic

Solfège note name tool

It might be interesting if the "note name tool" in the Noteworthy 2 resources and tools section (or better yet, an off-line user tool) could also create a corresponding lyric line of the solfège syllables (do-re-mi), either with or without the semi-tone names.  Since there is already a user tool for 7-shape shape notes which has the whole relative versus absolute pitch thing all figured out, would it take much more code to create a lyric line from the corresponding shaped noteheads?  I'm probably underestimating the situation by thinking it would "only" require a couple additional steps or modules.

Another observation... I didn't see it addressed anywhere, but I may have just missed it... but regarding the conversion from round noteheads to shaped noteheads:, if you have a shared note (that is, both an up and down stem) in which the pitch corresponds to shape4 (fa), after conversion, you have two joined triangular-shaped noteheads, which together have the appearance of shape 6 (la) if the interior is blacked out.  If it is a half note, it looks like a square with a diagonal line through it, which I kinda like even if it is wrong, but for a quarter note, it should not look like a blackened out square.  Now if you remember and are expecting that behavior, you can manually fix one at a time by right-clicking and choosing the notehead for either shape 4 (fa) -or- shape 4 (fa) ALT, depending on which stave you're in....  but that is a really poor solution.

I just noticed that if I manually select the notehead for shape 5 (so/sol) it is an ovoid shape which slants down, but if I use the user tool for shape note conversion, it correctly slants up.  Maybe there should be a "shape 5 (so) alt" like there is an "alt" selection for shape 4?

A few years ago I talked with one of the members here about tinkering with the shapes of the shape noteheads.  I later discovered that in cases where you have a chord composed of blacked out notes fa-la-do , (shapes 6, 4, and 1) together, they have an unpleasant uni-blob appearance.  I thought if I shaved a little off the top and bottom of shape 6 (la) to make it more rectangular and less squarish, that would provide a little gap between the notes and make the separation more distinct.  There was just one problem: the stem line is parallel to the edge of the square shape (as opposed to sharing the same line segment) and goes all the way to the far end.  So, if you were to make the shape more rectangular, you're left with the stem poking out too far.  Maybe there is a way to make the stem line share the outside vertical line segment of the square.... and stop at the mid-point?

I didn't know which was best: add three topics, or cram everything in with one whack.  Anyway, even if this program never gets another update, it has easily been the best money I've spent on a single piece of software, and I'd gladly do it again to help keep it alive.  I've done something with it every day for several years now, and I've never needed it for a task that It wasn't able to handle.  The thought of having to use one of those unwieldy other programs out there is a prescription for panic.

Re: Solfège note name tool

Reply #1
It might be interesting if the "note name tool" in the Noteworthy 2 resources and tools section (or better yet, an off-line user tool) could also create a corresponding lyric line of the solfège syllables (do-re-mi), ...

Maybe this can be help. With this tool you have the choice to insert do, re, mi... in a lyric line.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #2
I may be doing something stupid and can't see the obvious....

It returns this error: There is no file extension in "C:\Program"
I have this as my command line:

Wscript C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Scripts\ognotenames.js <PROMPT:Act upon:=|All_Staffs|Visible_Staffs|Active_Staff|Help> <PROMPT:NoteNames:=|A_B_C_...|do_re_mi...> <PROMPT:Insert as:=|Lyrics|Text|>

Reply #3
You have blanks in the file path.
The whole file path (not the parameters!) must be enclosed in double quotes (").

Reply #4
You mean this?

Wscript "C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\Noteworthy%20Software\NoteWorthy%20Composer%202\Scripts\ognotenames.js" <PROMPT:Act upon:=|All_Staffs|Visible_Staffs|Active_Staff|Help> <PROMPT:NoteNames:=|A_B_C_...|do_re_mi...> <PROMPT:Insert as:=|Lyrics|Text|>

Reply #5
Oops, I meant this:

Wscript "C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\Noteworthy%20Software\NoteWorthy%20Composer%202\Scripts\" ognotenames.js <PROMPT:Act upon:=|All_Staffs|Visible_Staffs|Active_Staff|Help> <PROMPT:NoteNames:=|A_B_C_...|do_re_mi...> <PROMPT:Insert as:=|Lyrics|Text|>

Well, that almost got it.  Now I have a "Execution of the Windows script host failed: not enough storage is available to complete this operation."  That doesn't figure.... I have plenty of space.  hmm., weird.

Reply #6
I meant the path including the filename and with real blanks instead of the HTML blanks "%20".
Like this:
Wscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Scripts\ognotenames.js" <PROMPT:Act upon:=|All_Staffs|Visible_Staffs|Active_Staff|Help> <PROMPT:NoteNames:=|A_B_C_...|do_re_mi...> <PROMPT:Insert as:=|Lyrics|Text|>

Reply #7
Thanks, works beautifully now.  Did all that and  kept getting different oddball errors, even when copying and pasting the same exact line.  The script file also did not like being renamed all lowercase letters, even if it was also all lowercase in the command line.  Apparently that also mattered in addition to everything else.

Reply #8
It seems that my installation instructions were not as clear as I thought they were. Thanks, Flurmy, for your comments.

I wrote this tool 8 years ago and now I tried it on one of my files and discovered that it also attaches # en b after the note names, wich I did'nt remember.
But I also found a bug: when inserted as a lyric line, tied and slurred notes will not have a lyric, so the following note names don't align with the right notes.
I'll have to take a look at that...
Always look on the bright side of life!