Skip to main content
Topic: Screen capture of Player crashes near end. (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

Screen capture of Player crashes near end.

If you start this video at 5:30, the display starts going forwards and backwards near the end of the piece.
Vivaldi Gmin 2nd mvt

I have attached the file I ran through the screen capture. Any ideas to avoid the crash near the end?

Thanks in advance.
Since 1998

Re: Screen capture of Player crashes near end.

Reply #1
Hey Warren,
I dunno mate...

At first it didn't happen on my system, then I realised I didn't have the scrolling note chase turned on.  Fixed than and voila there it was. 
It seems to be something about the final bar handling as it first happens when the ending barline comes into view.  You get a hop and then it bounces back and forth but always with the final bar partially in view.  Eventually it gets to a point where the final bar gets to a point where it will continue to scroll.

To test I copied the last 2 bars of each staff and added them to the end and the problem moved to the new final bar... 
Then I tried putting section close barlines at the ends of each staff, still there, so I set the staves to open, while leaving the manual section close barlines and still there...

I also tried extending only the top staff by 2 bars and the problem moved to the end of that staff.

I think it's clearly a bug relating to the final bar handling but I have no idea what.

Are you using the 2.8 beta or 2.75?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I don't get a problem either with or without chasing notes.
So maybe it is video driver related.

Rich.

Reply #3
I don't get a problem either with or without chasing notes.
So maybe it is video driver related.
Well, maybe...  FWIW I have a notebook which reports both NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 AND Intel UHD Graphics 630 adaptors.

Unfortunately I'm unable to determine for certain which adaptor the internal screen is actually connected to, but I think it's the Intel.

I suspect the NVIDIA is connected to the HDMI port, but who knows.  Since Win7 no one can tell what's going on under the hood anyway.  What they haven't hidden they seem to mislead about :(

Reply #4
With "Scrolling note chase" on, I can reproduce this with some widths of the player window, but not with others. I'd say this is an algorithm problem in NWC, which for some values of window width and chasing position does not compute a monotone sequence of viewing positions (could probably be repaired with a single "if", essentially "dont jump back, unless flow says so"; but wont happen).

Thus, work around: Try it with a Viewer window that is a little narrower.

H.M.

Reply #5
I've been able to reproduce this issue, both for "Send to built-in viewer" (in 2.8 beta) as well as the standalone viewer (also 2.8). The point at which the display goes into "earthquake mode" varies on the window width.

And now for a bit of personal opinion. I don't like the scrolling note chase mode, and I almost never turn it on. It always has seemed jerky/jittery even when it's not outright glitchy as for this score. I consider the scrolling note chase an "experimental feature", even though it's part of the latest official release. It was introduced somewhat late in the most recent release cycle, and I think it's always been a YMMV type of feature.  Given the current development status of NWC (or lack thereof), I don't expect the note chase to be changed or fixed any time soon.

Reply #7
Good.  just as an FYI, like Mike, I'm using the 2.8 beta.  It would appear that there has been no code change in this area of the viewer between these versions.

Mike's comment about an "experimental feature" strikes a vague memory.  For some reason I think this was actually the case.

Reply #8
I just added seven measures of quarter rests to all parts and it delayed earthquake mode until the piece was finished. Thanks for looking at it.
Since 1998

Reply #9

I also tried extending only the top staff by 2 bars and the problem moved to the end of that staff.

I think it's clearly a bug relating to the final bar handling but I have no idea what.
Thanks. I added seven measures of quarter rests to the end and it delayed earthquake mode till the end of the piece.
Since 1998