Skip to main content
Topic: Beat Count (Read 327 times) previous topic - next topic

Beat Count

Hi.
I am planning teaching my choir a piece with an irregular rhythm.
It would help if I could print the beat number in each bar to help with the counting!
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Many thanks
Andy

Re: Beat Count

Reply #1
Like this?
(layered staff, with stemless notes with blank noteheads; and a lyrics line for the beat numbers, which I put above so that it does not conflict with the lyrics to be sung).

H.M.

Reply #2
Brilliant (except: the added staff should be muted).
I'm considering making a user tool for this.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #3
You could call the tool "Metronome" :)  Maybe have an option to use the drum kit and MIDI channel 10 for the staff.

Reply #4
You could call the tool "Metronome" :)  Maybe have an option to use the drum kit and MIDI channel 10 for the staff.
Thanks Mike, great idea!
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
The only problem with using Channel 10 is that it may already be being used in the original piece. I used Taiko Drum, bass clef bottom space (A) transposed -10 for a bass drum beat in Black Bear, a fife and drum piece I put into the Scriptorium in April 2003, when I was just learning NWC. https://nwc-scriptorium.org/db-index.php?by=submitter&t=Bub%2C+William

Reply #6
The only problem with using Channel 10 is that it may already be being used in the original piece. <snip>
Shouldn't matter.  I use channel 10 up to around 40 times in any single score, depending on what percussion sounds I need.

This works because typically you only need to assign one "Instrument" to the channel, and each percussion sound is accessed via different "notes" on the percussion staves.

One of the ways this works for me is I can notate a drumkit using standard staff positions for each sound by putting each drum/cymbal/etc. on its own staff, spacing as necessary with rests (which I move off the page using Global_Mod) and layering.  The other thing that's needed for this to work is each staff needs it's own transposition.

There is a lot of work using this method, but you end up having a printable part that both looks correct to the player and sounds correct on playback.
Attached are 2 examples.  One for a drum kit, and the other for a full Concert Band implementation with notation exemplars at the start of each stave/instrument.

All staves use channel 10, all at the same time.

The only real drawback is every instance of a staff using channel 10 will use the volume setting of the last instance encountered by NWC on playback, usually the bottom percussion staff unless there is an Instrument change somewhere that changes the volume setting.  To get around this I generally set all staves to a volume of 127 (the default) and if I need to compensate for differing volume levels I cheat and use "Print|Never" dynamic markings to get my desired result.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.