Skip to main content
Topic: Duration parts in NwcTxt (Read 4274 times) previous topic - next topic

Duration parts in NwcTxt

When something on the staff has a duration, can there be anything else in the Dur: field outside of note length, dot or triplet status, and presence of a slur?  If I need to change the duration of a note or chord, I need to keep the slur intact.

Anything else to be on the alert for? I need to clear this up before converting ThreeEight.html to a user tool.

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Duration parts in NwcTxt

Reply #1
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:x-1
|Note|Dur:4th,Tenuto|Pos:v0
|Note|Dur:4th,Tenuto,Accent|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:3

Reply #2
When something on the staff has a duration, can there be anything else in the Dur: field outside of note length, dot or triplet status, and presence of a slur?  If I need to change the duration of a note or chord, I need to keep the slur intact.

Anything else to be on the alert for? I need to clear this up before converting ThreeEight.html to a user tool.

TIA

Here are some possible combinations:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet,Staccato,Tenuto,Slur|Pos:2^|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End,Staccatissimo,Slur,Marcato|Pos:2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #3
Thank you. I had a feeling it wouldn't be as simple as I first thought.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Same type of question but what else can be in the Opts: field besides Stem and Beam info?

TIA
Since 1998

Reply #5
Opts:Crescendo
Opts:Diminuendo
Opts:Slur=Upward
Opts:Tie=Upward
Opts:Muted
Opts:Lyric=Always
Opts:NoLegerLines
Opts:XAccSpace=1
Opts:XNoteSpace=1
Opts:ArticulationsOnStem

Reply #6
StemLength=6.5
XDotSpace=0.2
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #7
Thank you, gentlemen!
Since 1998

Reply #8
On the Opts: for a note or chord, does the order make any difference? I am trying to debug a page that has to add some options but keep anything already specified intact.
Since 1998

Reply #9
Hey Warren, long time no chat  ;)
On the Opts: for a note or chord, does the order make any difference? I am trying to debug a page that has to add some options but keep anything already specified intact.
I just did a little testing and I don't think so.  It appears that copying to the editor results in it re-ordering it the way it wants.
 However, doing this programmatically will probably bypass the editor routine and may end up with ambiguous results.  I can't test that though I suspect that anytime NWC reads an nwctxt, even if it's a file, it will probably fix it.  I vaguely remember this coming up in a discussion lo, these many moons ago, when nwctxt was first created.

<edit>
I found this - not specific to your question but speaks to the integrity checking:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6220.msg41844#msg41844

Good grief, that was written 15 years ago, how did I remember its existence? :o

</edit>

Point to note though; when creating a split duration chord the order of note/chord member entry can make a difference:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-6,-2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-6,-2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3
The first chord was entered from bottom to top, the following quaver was entered last and was automatically stem up.
The second chord was entered from top to bottom and again the following quaver was entered last.  This time it was automatically stem down.
Of course, this is an editor quirk.

I did copy the nwctxt to notepad and tweaked some orders, but after copying back to a new staff NWC re-ordered the clip to what you see above.

This clip:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-3
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-3
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
First chord entered bottom up.  Set stem down, enter, stem up, ctlr+enter, remove stem up, enter, select, <ctlr+b>
Second chord entered bottom up.  Set stem down, enter, stem up, ctlr+enter, enter, select, <ctlr+b>
Third chord entered top down.  Set stem up, enter, stem down, ctlr+enter, remove stem up, enter, select, <ctlr+b>
Fourth chord entered top down.  Set stem up, enter, stem down, ctlr+enter, enter, select, <ctlr+b>
Note the beaming.

I don't know if this is a help or a hindrance...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
Re: the last clip.
Of course you know that, after selecting the couple(s) you want, you can switch between one case and the other using <shift><up> and <shift><down>

Reply #11
I am probably stating something that everyone already knows, but it helps me understand NWC's behavior, as well as the editor "quirk" that Lawrie commented on.

A single (that is, non-split-stem) note can have three stem directions: up, down or automatic. However, once you beam notes, it forces their stem directions to be either up or down. Actually, in the user interface, the "stem up" and "stem down" buttons are only enabled when the first note of the beamed set is selected.  Attempting to change the stem direction of the first note in a beamed set will unbeam the notes.

A pair of split-stem notes can also have stem direction, but it is always either up or down; there is no "automatic" choice available. Depending on the duration, the note spacing can be different for up vs. down stem direction, as seen in this example:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-3
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:8th|Pos2:1

Of course, when you beam split-stem notes, only the upper or lower notes will be beamed, depending on the stem direction, and any specified stem length will apply to both notes in the set. (Which is why Rick G. and others have generally avoided split-stem notes in favor of layering.)

Regarding the editor "quirk" that Lawrie mentioned, NWC appears to influence the automatic stem direction when you are entering split-stem chords, so that the following note will inherit the stem direction of the prior note. There also seems to be some different behavior when the durations of the upper and lower split-stem notes are different, but it is hard to describe.

I hope this has added some extra confusion to the discussion.

Reply #12
I was unaware that the note spacing depended on the "stem direction"!  ???

Reply #13
I was unaware that the note spacing depended on the "stem direction"!  ???
'tis the flags.  If you beam them (the stem up ones) the spacing shrinks.  What I found interesting is that the stem direction of the first notes in the chord controls the spacing.
It is also the first notes that get beamed (unless it's a chord with mixed duration of flagged and unflagged notes). 
Mixed duration with all unflagged get the spacing of the shortest note/rest if you have "Increase spacing for longer notes" ticked.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.