Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI 2.0 spec finalised and adopted (Read 1730 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI 2.0 spec finalised and adopted

Hi all,
interesting article - a little sparse on detail, but enough to ask a few questions...
https://www.musicradar.com/news/midi-20-spec-confirmed-the-biggest-advance-in-music-technology-in-decades

While I certainly can't see any reason to rush into things, I can't help wondering if/when we'll see MIDI 2.0 support in NWC.

I'm especially interested in the bidirectional comms facility and the new Universal MIDI Packet (UMP) format that can be used in any digital transmission medium - think MIDI over Ethernet; Wired, Fibre Optic, or WiFi - I especially expect WiFi, or maybe Bluetooth, to have serious advantages.

Consider communicating with a hardware synth via Ethernet - no more MIDI interface within your PC, no need for a USB to MIDI converter etc., just talk directly to ANY MIDI 2.0 instrument or controller using, say WiFi or Bluetooth - no need for messy cables!

I imagine there will need to be a driver of some kind, but this will be standardised and may well be able to be incorporated directly into NWC as it won't be vendor specific.  This means that it doesn't matter what mix of vendors your MIDI arsenal comes from you can talk to ALL of them with a single interface.  One that's potentially built right into NWC.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: MIDI 2.0 spec finalised and adopted

Reply #1
... there will need to be a driver of some kind, but this will be standardised and may well be able to be incorporated directly into NWC .... a single interface.  One that's potentially built right into NWC.
I would hope that this would be built into Windows - although Microsoft seems to ignore MIDI and music technology in general quite steadfastly.

H.M.

Re: MIDI 2.0 spec finalised and adopted

Reply #2
m$ pretty much abandoned MIDI with the advent of Vista.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.