Skip to main content
Topic: Velocity might be the issue (Read 2378 times) previous topic - next topic

Velocity might be the issue

Hi

I've noticed that when I make mp3 conversions of my work, the accompaniment (piano) always sounds like it is being "pounded", despite the dynamic level I use. I would like to achieve a more musical effect. Is this possible? I am not sure what to look for in the forum; I don't mind checking out other discussions on the topic. Is it a velocity issue?

Re: Velocity might be the issue

Reply #1
It might help if you say how you do your conversions.
Do you use the Viewer or do you use a midi to mp3 converter?
Rich.

Reply #2
I use Solmire online conversion. I’d rather keep it in house, if anyone has suggestions on what to use.

https://solmire.com/

Reply #3
I don't know that program - but it's worth trying the NoteWorthy Viewer.

You can load in a soundfont  in the tools menu and then use "Playto"  from the file menu.

See if it is any better.

Rich
Rich.

Reply #4
If I wanted to convert a NWC performance to mp3, I would normally play back the NWC performance and record it using Goldwave (but the freebie "Audacity" would work equally well).  Then I would save the Goldwave recording as an mp3 file.
One Christmas I did this with a bunch of carols.
I also exported the NWC performances as MIDI files for playback on a MIDI controller keyboard and gave them to a friend who converted them to mp3 format using a MIDI-to-mp3 conversion app.
His mp3’s sounded significantly different from mine.  His sounded “stripped-down” to the extent that some of the parts were missing whereas my mp3’s sounded just like the original NWC or MIDI performances.
It sounds to me like your conversion app is ignoring the dynamics.
GrahamH

Reply #5
It might help if you say how you do your conversions.
Do you use the Viewer or do you use a midi to mp3 converter?

Do you have any recommended sources for synth fonts?

Reply #7
I usually use Unison at that Conversion  website and quite like the sound. I haven’t heard of Merlin but will google.

I just bought a Zoom recorder for live audio Recording and it came with Cubase, which I am downloading as we speak.

Reply #8
I have a user tool to add or back out velocity to dynamics. Choose Custom Dynamics on the right column and copy to your nwc scripts.

wjporter.com/nwc
Since 1998

Reply #9
Would this be able to take care of what sounds to me like accented chords even when there is no accent on the notes? It destroys the mood that I am trying to achieve in the music sometimes. Is there an automatic accent for the downbeat? If so, in some cases I would like to reduce that.