Skip to main content
Topic: Uninstall nwc 1 (Read 4216 times) previous topic - next topic

Uninstall nwc 1

Is there any reason why I should not uninstall version one since I am now using the latest version? I am running out of room on my computer and I need to delete some apps.

Re: Uninstall nwc 1

Reply #1
Version 1? Even a slow upgrader like me has abandoned it looong ago! ;D

Reply #2
 I haven’t used it for years but it is still on my computer and I want to delete it. I can still open all my files with version 2.75 so it should be fine right?

Reply #3
I doubt you would need to go back to it, if version 2,75 is working well for you. But I also doubt that you will gain much space by uninstalling it. What you need to be trimming are all those cat videos.

Reply #4
SEBC,

I cannot believe that you will empty more then a few megabytes by deleting a software application like Notewothy Composer, especially an older version.

Why don’t you measure the disk occupation with tools like “spacesniffer” or “windirstats”. Then you see immediately which files are taking most of the diskspace, which you then can remove or transfer to an external disk.

Be also aware that recent Windows versions may take automatic backups, and if they aren’t cleaned up manually, they may be the culprit too.

Bart

Reply #5
Agree with Bart and Mike. NWC is not a space-hogging program.

In addition to what Bart has suggested, I think you should run a tool like Ccleaner. It can find all the junk files on your computer and delete them. I ran Ccleaner yesterday, after a six-month gap, and regained 3 gigabytes of space. Well worth it (and my computer runs much quicker now!)

Reply #6
Thanks for weighing in on this issue. I’ve come to realize that my new computer from two years ago, which was a gift from my spouse, actually has only a third of the space of my previous. Which I have now filled up. I’m a little shocked to be honest. I’ll need to investigate an external drive.

And look for cat videos to delete ...

Thanks for your help!

Reply #7
Just thought I'd post a quick update: I did uninstall NWC 1, not so much for space reasons, but because I will never use it again, so why keep it around.

I did get a program to show me where the large files are (WinDirStat) and have off-loaded the biggies. They were not, as Mike suggested, cat videos, but videos of university orchestration and composition courses.

I was able to reclaim some space, which I am now happily filling up again. It's a short term solution, to be sure, but has helped with some weird issues I was having possibly due to low space.

Reply #8
Of course you realise that the cat video comment was in jest, but my point was that video files can take up a considerable amount of space, especially if they are more than a few minutes long.  And it turns out that the files you did decide to move offline were videos, which demonstrates my point.

Now, I could have been correct if you had done a video of a cat orchestra (I might even watch that once).

Reply #9
 :D

Yes and I got the very helpful point. It’s going to be a challenge for me because as a performing composer, I want to hang on to all performances of my work, whether by me or others. Due to the limitations of my smaller hard drive, it did fill up much faster than expected.

Thanks, as always, for your input and help.

Reply #11
Bahaha - I'd forgotten that little bit of fun - if you set the pan for one cat to 32 and the other to 96 it significantly improves the effect - you get 2 cats in the spatial realm.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #12
:D

Yes and I got the very helpful point. It’s going to be a challenge for me because as a performing composer, I want to hang on to all performances of my work, whether by me or others. Due to the limitations of my smaller hard drive, it did fill up much faster than expected.

Thanks, as always, for your input and help.
USB external drives really aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things - perhaps you should grab a few (one at a time to spread the pain) and move the video files to them - this will make your PC's hard drive last longer...

E.G. at the one store I checked I can buy a 2TB USB drive for $139 Australian - that's about $95 US at the moment, and we always get ripped off on these things so I imagine the US price would be considerably less than $95.  (Just looked it up - Amazon have a similar drive for $75US, and there seem to be even cheaper ones)

Reply #13
Yes, I guess it’s that or a new computer but I’m not thrilled about that option.

Reply #14
Thanks for weighing in on this issue. I’ve come to realize that my new computer from two years ago, which was a gift from my spouse, actually has only a third of the space of my previous. Which I have now filled up. I’m a little shocked to be honest. I’ll need to investigate an external drive.

And look for cat videos to delete ...

Thanks for your help!
Only 2 years old?  I think I'd install a new, bigger HDD.

Reply #15
Yes, I guess it’s that or a new computer but I’m not thrilled about that option.

Another option could be to resize the video files without changing the sound quality - if that is OK for you.

FFMPEG  is a very good (command line) tool with which this can be accomplished very easily.  This tools is used in the background of almost all current video applications.
http://ffmpeg.org  leads you (today) to https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ where you can download the zipfile with the windows binaries and all the documentation.
After downloading, just extract the 3 files in the bin subfolder to a directory on your hard drive at your choice.

Usefull commands for resizing:
Code: [Select · Download]
<dir>/ffprobe -i <source file>                                  this shows the source file specifications (video and sound)
<dir>/ffplay  -i <source file> -vf scale=640:-1                 this plays the film while applying the video filter "scale" (needs width and height parameters)
<dir>/ffmpeg  -i <source file> -vf scale=640:-1 <output file>   this effectively creates a new "scaled" output file. 
With this tools you can also change the video format (avi, mov, mkv, flv, ... ) into another format. Just specify a different video extension for the output file and it is automatically converted.

Bart

Reply #16
You never stop learning: Katzenduett (Friedrich August Reissiger)  :o