Skip to main content
Topic: Strange time (Read 462 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange time

I need your help.
In the attachment there are two measures of a piano accompaniment. The previous measures are in 4/4, as you can see from the first measure. In the second measure, the lower staff keeps 4/4, while the upper one becomes 11/8 (???).
How can I make a correct insertion in the upper staff of the second measure?
Do the two signs I highlighted in yellow say something more about the strange change in time?
Thanks and have a nice evening.
Lorenzo

Re: Strange time

Reply #1
This means most certainly "play in free rhythm towards that fermata"; the brackets indicate that normal note values are irrelevant, instead the length of the sounding notes is indicated by these brackets. In the attachment is how I'd notate this in NWC (including the misuse of a slur for a tie to avoid crossing a notehead).

Edit: Of course, you could add those brackets also (with a LineSpan.nw object with both caps set to "stroke"), but I find that unnecessary when the ad lib. is added - it says essentially "don't care too much for the exact note values seen here."

H.M.

Re: Strange time

Reply #2
Thanks HM,
I have to study your construction of the "incriminated" measure well, also considering that I did not show the vocal part.
It will be a good exercise!
Have a nice day (it's raining here...).
Lorenzo