Skip to main content
Topic: Text running off the printed page (Read 2914 times) previous topic - next topic

Text running off the printed page

Sometimes when I go to print, I find my text running off the printed page. It might be a label, such as "Children". This often happens after I have changed something and the text measure gets bumped over to a different position. When I first insert the label, I check to see that it looks ok.

Is there anything that I can do to keep the text from doing this?

Re: Text running off the printed page

Reply #1
Unless the text is short, placing text before a bar line is almost always wrong unless you right justify it.

A few years ago, when I was still writing user objects, I wrote one to add text markup to a bar line. It used a field to specify what and where to put text if the bar was at the right edge of the page and another field to specify what and where to put text if the bar was anywhere else. My "markup" concepts were not well received here, so I never published it.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I agree with Rick about right-justifying the text string at a bar line.

One caveat - if the text string is too long and now appears at the end of the first measure of the new staff, if may then spill over the left margin.  The solution is to break the text into a couple of shorter text entries: 
Allegro ma non troppo
becomes
Allegro [break]
ma non troppo.

Reply #3
I agree with Rick about right-justifying the text string at a bar line.

One caveat - if the text string is too long and now appears at the end of the first measure of the new staff, if may then spill over the left margin.  The solution is to break the text into a couple of shorter text entries: 
Allegro ma non troppo
becomes
Allegro [break]
ma non troppo.

Is there a way to do that break within one text function or does it require two text entries?

Reply #5
I was out of the country and realize that I didn't thank you all for your help.

I tend to press x for text entries but will use the J xtext object when I have a longer text entry to make.