Skip to main content
Topic: Need to put one verse in italics - any ideas? (Read 7931 times) previous topic - next topic

Need to put one verse in italics - any ideas?

I write my lead sheets out with multiple verses under the stave. I would like to put one verse (usually a chorus) in italics whilst leaving the remainder in normal font - has anyone figured out a method of doing this? Steve

Re: Need to put one verse in italics - any ideas?

Reply #1
Use the font in: Romital.zip from the Scriptorium.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thanks Rick, that does, indeed, do it.
Is there no easier method than writing the italicised text, character by character (selected from the symbol table set to the Romital font) into a word processor then cutting and pasting the result into NWC? Or have I just found the most difficult and tedious method of doing it!

Reply #3
Is there no easier method than writing the italicised text, character by character (selected from the symbol table set to the Romital font) into a word processor then cutting and pasting the result into NWC? Or have I just found the most difficult and tedious method of doing it!
There might be slightly better ways to do this than the one you describe, but they would probably be almost as tedious. However, it occurs to me that a user tool could be created that would "italicize" or "unitalicize" the lyrics for a set of notes, using this font.

It also occurs to me that a custom object could be written that lays down lyrics in an alternate font under a set of notes. (I seem to recall looking into this a while back, during the NWC 2.75 beta period). In order for that approach to work, space would need to be reserved for the lyrics, probably by putting sets of ___ characters for the "real" lyrics (assuming that "Underscore shown as space" is checked).

Mike

Reply #4
Streuth! That's wandering into completely unknown territory for me! At least I (almost) know what I'm doing with the word processor and symbol table and, to be honest, the printed results do look great.
Perhaps it could become a request for NWC3?

Reply #5
Actually, I wasn't suggesting that you would need to write a tool or object yourself; there are a number of us here (including me) who know how to do this, and have created tools and objects to provide solutions to problems like this.

However, I agree with you that a way to "escape" lyric text to provide italics (as well as bold and underline) would be a nice enhancement for the next version of NWC. Or if not that, perhaps a way to override the lyric font for a particular staff, and do the deed with layers.

Reply #6
What about layering? If you have free user fonts you could set one in italics, add a new staff, write the "italic verses" to it and then layer it to the main line. It's a tedious method, and perhaps it's not as easy as you want, but anyway, it's easier than writting the whole text character by character.
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #7
What about layering? If you have free user fonts you could set one in italics, add a new staff, write the "italic verses" to it and then layer it to the main line. It's a tedious method, and perhaps it's not as easy as you want, but anyway, it's easier than writting the whole text character by character.
Problem is that "Staff Lyrics" is a global setting, not a staff by staff setting...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
"Staff Lyrics" is a global setting, not a staff by staff setting...
Upps... sorry, my bad  ::)
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #9
Is there no easier method than writing the italicised text, character by character (selected from the symbol table set to the Romital font) into a word processor then cutting and pasting the result into NWC?
Rename the attached txt file to: rg_RomitalClip.vbs
In NWC, make Romital your lyrics font.
Copy the lyrics you want to italicize to the clipboard.
Run: rg_RomitalClip.vbs
Paste into NWC

Reply #10
Rick, you are a genius. That's brilliant. Thank you very much

Reply #11
You are welcome. I'm glad that you found my little script useful.

Reply #12
You are welcome. I'm glad that you found my little script useful.

Very useful indeed, but what if you want to return to the original?
I took the liberty to create an alternative script, where you have the choise to italize or to romanize the content of the clipboard.
All credits for Rick G. though. (This is my first vbs script.)
Note: change the extension txt to vbs after downloading it.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #13
Rick,
I have been using your script to great effect for some time but have just tried to use it on Win 10 for the first time. It's thrown up an error which says:
   rg_RomitalClip.vbs
   Line: 41
   Char: 3
   Error: 0x800700C1
   Code: 800700C1
   Source: (null)
Have I done something wrong or has Microsoft stuffed me once again?
Steve

Reply #14
Actually, Opagust's script also falls over with the same error but on line 64.
This is starting to smell of Microsoft's podgy fingers!
Steve

Reply #15
It's thrown up an error which says:
  rg_RomitalClip.vbs
  Line: 41
  Char: 3
  Error: 0x800700C1
  Code: 800700C1
  Source: (null)
Might be a security problem. That line runs a hypertext app. You may need to be an Admin to do that.

Reply #16
Couldn't make that work. No problem though, I've put it Noteworthy back onto my old Win 7 machine so everthing is now working again

Reply #17
This is my first foray into the Noteworthy forum and my first attempt to do anything that isn't off the peg. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion, I have had a happy hour creating an italicised lyric chorus (on Windows 10) and everything worked a treat. Yippee.

Reply #18
Rick, I am attempting to do this, but I need more specific step by step information because I don't understand what to do.
Thanks,

Rename the attached txt file to: rg_RomitalClip.vbs
In NWC, make Romital your lyrics font.
Copy the lyrics you want to italicize to the clipboard.
Run: rg_RomitalClip.vbs
Paste into NWC

Reply #19
I'm posting on this old thread to see if I can get some help with italics.

When the instructions say to use the clipboard, what exactly is that? Is it in NWC or in a text editor?

How do you run the .vbs ?

I have a feeling this gets done outside of NWC.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Reply #20
When the instructions say to use the clipboard, what exactly is that? Is it in NWC or in a text editor?
Either one.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+i+run+a+vbs+file
I have a feeling this gets done outside of NWC.
It does.

Reply #21
 I don't come on the forum much these days but I just saw this.

I use a different approach for lead sheets. I create the music in NWC, with the lyrics for one verse (and chorus, if needed). I save that as an emf file and import to a word processor and write the rest of the lyrics underneath. I usually repeat the lyrics from the notation with the chords for completeness.

If it's all got to go in the notation, I simply mark the various sections of the music 'verse' 'chorus' etc. as needed.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #22
Hi Geoff

If you see this reply, could you upload a photo of what the score ends up looking like? What are the pros and cons of this approach?

I still haven't figured out how to run a "script". :(

I have a certain degree of technophobia in that I'm afraid to do anything that will mess up my computer because I can't afford to be without it for any length of time...  :o And I also have general ignorance about a lot of computer topics. I know how to do what I know how to do,  not the thinking or logic behind it.

Reply #23
If you're printing them to a pdf file, you could do it with two files.  Print the first nwc file to pdf with normal font.  The second nwc file, an duplicate copy of the first -- except remove all the text with the normal font and put the italicized text where it belongs.  Then print the second file using the pdf created by the first nwc file as an overlay.  File > Printer Setup > Properties > Overlay.   I'm using NovaPDF Pro v7 as my print driver, which I only mention because the overlay function may not be available with other drivers.  I discovered the property quite by accident, and it has been happily useful for doing such things as printing two short tunes onto one page.