Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution ML-249c USB Keyboard (Read 3134 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution ML-249c USB Keyboard

Good Monday everyone, Windows 10 Pro sees the keyboard but I do not have any software to play the keyboard, cannot hear sound.
Do you perhaps know if the keyboard (that is about 18 years old) has a Midi driver? Not even NoteWorthy Composer can see the keyboard.
All assistance will be acknowledged, and greatly appreciated.

Re: Evolution ML-249c USB Keyboard

Reply #1
Hi Ian,
your Evolution MK-249c USB Keyboard is a MIDI controller, it means that it will not produce any sound by itself. You will need to use some virtual instrument to generate sounds and then set EvoMK-249c as a MIDI Input. By the way, this controller was discontinued long ago so connecting via USB could be a problem with W10 drivers etc... If W10 sees the keyboard as a MIDI IN Interface then every software must see it too, but if you are having troubles with NWC to see it you can try connecting it via MIDI (if you have any MIDI ports on your soundcard/audio interface, of course). You will need a standard 5-pin MIDI cable connected from the MIDI OUT from the EvoMK-249c to the MIDI IN port, then set this MIDI IN port as a "Input Device" in NWC and you'll get the keyboard connected to NWC inserting notes in your score... but remember that NWC will not produce sounds by itself (it's just a notation software), so you will need a virtual instrument anyway =(

There's lots of free piano (or organ, synth, etc.) VST/Libraries on the net to achieve a good virtual instrument setup on your computer: i.e. Kontakt Player with some piano library, VSTHost (or an old version of Cantabile Lite) with a decent free piano VST... google it and find the best option for your needs ;)

Good luck,
Lloyd.
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #2
In some thread on the internet, an M-Audio person says "we dont know whether it works with Windows 10"; but he points people to the Windows 7 driver site and says "try it, it might work". That site is here: https://m-audio.com/support/download/drivers/usb-midi-series-5.0.1

Hope that helps.

H.M.

Reply #3
Hello Lloyd, and many thanks for your reply.
The Device Manager certainly does see the USB Keyboard.
I had forgotten (after years on Linux Mint) about changing the input. It always worked from the USB cable.
Now I see NoteWorthy Composer is available for Ubuntu Linux. It may well work on KDE, which is what I run on my laptop.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Definitely appreciated.
Ian (Johannesburg, South Africa, on National CoronaVirus lockdown)

Hi Ian,
your Evolution MK-249c USB Keyboard is a MIDI controller, it means that it will not produce any sound by itself. You will need to use some virtual instrument to generate sounds and then set EvoMK-249c as a MIDI Input. By the way, this controller was discontinued long ago so connecting via USB could be a problem with W10 drivers etc... If W10 sees the keyboard as a MIDI IN Interface then every software must see it too, but if you are having troubles with NWC to see it you can try connecting it via MIDI (if you have any MIDI ports on your soundcard/audio interface, of course). You will need a standard 5-pin MIDI cable connected from the MIDI OUT from the EvoMK-249c to the MIDI IN port, then set this MIDI IN port as a "Input Device" in NWC and you'll get the keyboard connected to NWC inserting notes in your score... but remember that NWC will not produce sounds by itself (it's just a notation software), so you will need a virtual instrument anyway =(

There's lots of free piano (or organ, synth, etc.) VST/Libraries on the net to achieve a good virtual instrument setup on your computer: i.e. Kontakt Player with some piano library, VSTHost (or an old version of Cantabile Lite) with a decent free piano VST... google it and find the best option for your needs ;)

Good luck,
Lloyd.

Reply #5

...or Spain... xD
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.