Skip to main content
Topic: Installing on new computer (Read 7156 times) previous topic - next topic

Installing on new computer

I'm planning to replace my good old laptop by a two-in-one, without CD drive.
So my question is: how should I re-install NWC, if I can't read my original installation CD?
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: Installing on new computer

Reply #1
Make a .iso file and install it as a virtual drive.

Reply #2
Or buy it anew. That's what I did. The price of NWC is laughable compared to its features: I think paying anew for the goodies we got is not wrong, and its affordable, I'd believe.

H.M.

Reply #3
Or buy it anew. That's what I did. The price of NWC is laughable compared to its features: I think paying anew for the goodies we got is not wrong, and its affordable, I'd believe.

H.M.

And it's problably the simplest solution. I will consider it.
Long Live NWC! (I hope)

Reply #4
If you look in your Noteworthy directory (programs not Noteworthy files) you will find a directory called "Setups"
In there you will find an executable for the last Noteworthy program you installed. Use this to install on your new machine.
The viewer you can install from the internet.

I think this is the easiest route.

Rich.

Reply #5
In C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Setups , you'll find all the installers used to get you to this point. Copy this folder to a flash drive, install the installers oldest to newest, and you should be golden.

... though it looks like Richard beat me to it!
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
If you look in your Noteworthy directory (programs not Noteworthy files) you will find a directory called "Setups"
In there you will find an executable for the last Noteworthy program you installed. Use this to install on your new machine.
The viewer you can install from the internet.

I think this is the easiest route.
In C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Setups , you'll find all the installers used to get you to this point. Copy this folder to a flash drive, install the installers oldest to newest, and you should be golden.

... though it looks like Richard beat me to it!
Thank you both, I copied the folder to my external hard disk.

Reply #7
you'll find all the installers used to get you to this point.
Yes, but if you started long ago like me, the first installer requires the CD to go on.
It all depends...

Reply #8
Yes, but if you started long ago like me, the first installer requires the CD to go on.
It all depends...
Now that I'm reminded of the setups folder, I have a feeling that you only need to run the most recent installer version - I don't think they're dependent on having the previous versions installed.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
I don't think they're dependent on having the previous versions installed.
Yes, they do.

Reply #10
You might consider buying or borrowing an external DVD/CD drive that hooks up to your USB port.
I keep one with its original box (keeps the dust out) that uses external power.  It also comes in handy when the wife gets a bad DVD from the library or I need to diagnose errors from my DVR.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #11
I have another question.
I want to use my knew ordered '2 in 1' laptop in tablet mode on my music stand to replace my scores on paper.
It comes with a active stylus pen (from ACER), so I wonder, will I be able to make remarks on my (pfd)-scores and save them. I know I can upgrade Acrobat Adobe but that will cost me 18€/month.
Or should I copy my scores as image in a word-document?
Has anyone some experience with this?

Reply #12
I used to use a product called MusicreaderPDF, but I found that I couldn't read my LCD screen very well in the daylight.  The product itself was pretty reasonable though a little slow in some areas due to (I think) being written in Java and possible the 3rd party PDF handler software.

I even have an Acer twin screen laptop (discontinued model that had a virtual keyboard) and I can display 2* full A4 pages side by side (one on each screen).  As well I have a USB foot pedal for changing pages.  I recently received an email advising me of an upgrade and it seems (I haven't confirmed it yet) that the product is now cloud based, which means I won't be using it in future regardless.

That aside, you can mark up a PDF and save it with the annotations.

Reply #13
I use a free program called Xodo PDF Reader & Annotator on my Surface Pro tablet, which has a stylus. It has very nice annotation features, including automatic recognition of the stylus for marking up PDFs. I use it for choir music (much of which is NWC scores). You can check it out at https://www.xodo.com.

Reply #14
I use a free program called Xodo PDF Reader & Annotator on my Surface Pro tablet, which has a stylus. It has very nice annotation features, including automatic recognition of the stylus for marking up PDFs. I use it for choir music (much of which is NWC scores). You can check it out at https://www.xodo.com.
Thanks, Mike.
I downloaded it and experimented a bit on my old laptop and it seems very good. On my new computer I will have a touch screen and a stylus pen, so I think this will do the job well!
Thanks again.

Reply #15
The advantage of things Like MusicreaderPDF is that they are designed with playing music in mind, so you can setup playlists etc. and the product will load the required pdf's from your library and simply page through them in playlist order - no loading individual pdf's between songs etc..

Straight up pdf readers don't do this.

Reply #17
I downloaded MusicreaderPDF and at first glance, I don't like it:
  • Odd user interface
  • few contrast, pale score
  • last staff on last page was cutten off
  • I don't need clouds, I prefer the sunlight

Reply #19
I downloaded MusicreaderPDF and at first glance, I don't like it:
  • Odd user interface
  • few contrast, pale score
  • last staff on last page was cutten off
  • I don't need clouds, I prefer the sunlight
Yeah, I haven't seen it recently so I can't comment, but the TYPE of program is worth considering.  The playlist feature alone is much more useful than trying to use a simple PDF reader.

BTW, it's worth letting the author know about your concerns and the things that make you unhappy.  I found in the past he's pretty responsive about the things he controls.

Reply #20
The playlist feature alone is much more useful than trying to use a simple PDF reader.

I'm experimenting now with Xodo PDF Reader & Annotator and I discovered a feature to merge multiple PDFs. If I then save them as 'my playlist', I can read it in as one file.
So, for the time being, I'll stick with this free program, thanks to Mike.

Reply #21
I'm experimenting now with Xodo PDF Reader & Annotator and I discovered a feature to merge multiple PDFs. If I then save them as 'my playlist', I can read it in as one file.
So, for the time being, I'll stick with this free program, thanks to Mike.
That's certainly one approach, but I found that the convenience of being able to simply tick a few files in the library index and create the playlist that way is far too useful to dismiss.  No merging of PDFs for a one off gig or anything...

Of course, each to their own and if it's sufficient for your needs there is no need to change.