Skip to main content
Topic: Win10 problems in scrollboxes (Read 3560 times) previous topic - next topic

Win10 problems in scrollboxes

I've gone to the dark side...  Actually the VERY dark side...

After 12 years I've had to retire my XP laptop, so I bought a new Dell (G3 17) with Win10  ARGGHHHH

I'm not a fan of Win10 and I'm not real happy with the trackpad on the Dell but I can live with both.  The real problem I'm having is with scroll boxes in dialogues.

E.G. if I open the staff transposition dialogue and try to click an arrow by tapping the trackpad (my normal habit) in the "how many semitones" scroll box it will seem to click twice - every time - I have to actually put the specific number in via the keyboard.  Clicking pressing down the lower left corner where the actual button switch is located and making it operate the switch seems to be OK

Same thing applies pretty much across the board, like setting the transposition or the pitchbend range in the staff properties dialogue on the Instrument tab OR and instrument change dialogue.  Actually, it happens in EVERY numeric scrollbox I've tried.

Does anyone have this problem on:
  • a different model Dell running Win10
  • a non-Dell Win10 machine?
  • a Dell running any version other than Win10?
  • any machine running any version other than Win10

Any clues would be appreciated - very unhappy camper here  :'(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Win10 problems in scrollboxes

Reply #1
I wonder if it has to do with your tap-to-click settings... maybe play around with the mouse driver settings?

About all I can say is that it doesn't happen on Linux. The only little annoying bug we get is that tabbing through a dialog box moves the caret twice.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #2
...Does anyone have this problem on:
  • a non-Dell Win10 machine?

Yes! - I do have this problem, as I have just found out. I have a Fujitsu Win10 laptop; and exactly that dialog has this bad behavior.

I have had this Win10 machine for two and a half years and never noticed any problem with it - neither with NWC nor with any other program; so it seems I just use it in some way that does not find such hiccups (for example; I use the arrow keys in that dialog. But that doesn't really help you). The problem is there. That's really annoying - for you, and probably many others.

H.M.

Reply #3
Yes! - I do have this problem, as I have just found out. I have a Fujitsu Win10 laptop; and exactly that dialog has this bad behavior.
<snip>
Thank you - starts to point to Win10 rather than the Dell...

Reply #4
I wonder if it has to do with your tap-to-click settings... maybe play around with the mouse driver settings?

About all I can say is that it doesn't happen on Linux. The only little annoying bug we get is that tabbing through a dialog box moves the caret twice.
I'd like to say it only happens in NWC, but I'm having frustrating behaviour at other times that suggest the tap on the touchpad is too sensitive - sensitivity is already set to minimum.

Perhaps I'll have to turn tap off, but that's not a welcome solution.

Reply #5
I looked around a little bit on the internet whether this problem was known. The only threads I found pointed out such a behaviour with the Qt library (a portable graphical user interface library). I don't know whether NWC uses Qt - however, it seems that the problem can only be solved reliably by modifying the program code = programming. If I find something else, I'll post it here ...

H.M.

Reply #6
Thank you.

Reply #7
I tested this on one of our Dell laptops here at work, and I can replicate the problem using the built-in trackpad. However, when I plug in an external mouse, it works as expected. To me, this points to a peculiarity with the trackpad.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #8
Thanks Francis.  While I haven't tested a mouse on my laptop, I expected it would behave that way.  I appreciate the confirmation.  I wonder if there's some software update for the trackpad that might help...  Something to for me seek out.

Thanks again.

Reply #9
There is some sort of trackpad-related driver on Dell's web site, but I was unable to do the reboot it wanted
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #10
Thanks Francis,
I only found one that seemed relevant to my machine but the installer insisted it wasn't - so I think I must have whatever is current.
In any case, my Dell has a utility that is supposed to keep everything up to date and it isn't reporting any available updates :(