Skip to main content
Topic: Web Publishing on Compuserve (Read 6306 times) previous topic - next topic

Web Publishing on Compuserve

Somewhat new to trying to create a Web page I've been attempting to find a way to put music on board -
Problem : How can a composer file be posted onto a web page - I've read the other explanations on this forum and either dont understand them or cant do them - I'm not sure if this is mea culpa or the limitations of Compuserve - can anyone tell me ( slowly please ) how to do it
Thanks
The Vegan Fiddler

Re: Web Publishing on Compuserve

Reply #1
I'm not sure about CompuServe, but there are limitations imposed (sometimes without reasons) by some providers.
The most frequent limit is not to accept some types of file, such as .bmp, .vqf, .mp3, .wav, .nwc, and so on. In fact they often only accept .txt, .mid, .htm, .html, .shtml, .zip, .jpg, .gif (though no .gif can be generated illegaly or almost, since the gif compression is under copyright).
And if you want to upload a file that has another extension, 2 solutions: either zip it, making it unusable directly by a browser (yet), either put another extension with instructions ot the user of how to rename it (not a good solution).

Last possibility : ask your provider to allow you the upload of .nwc files. On GeoCities for example, it would be helpful...

HTH, Marsu

Reply #2
I have to use zip files to put NWC files on my GeoCities web site. You might try that. Of course, that makes it much harder for users to access them.

Reply #3
Actually, this is really not hard at all if I understand the question. Are you trying to simply place the "printed" music on your webpage? If so, after you have created the file in NWC, go to "file" then "print preview". Select "copy" and SAVE the file as a bitmap (BMP) file. Then one of 2 things will need to happen. If you are using an HTML editor like Front Page (Express) or Netscape Composer, simply "insert image" and the file will be converted from BMP to JPEG (or the like). If you aren't using an editor capable of such a conversion, you will need to convert the file to JPG or some such graphic file traditionally supported by HTML viewers. Please feel free to email me if you would like further help on this one...

Reply #4
Instead of using BMP format, you can use the wmf format (much lighter) along with paint shop pro. This is the quickest way I know (I used it for 126 files (thanks macro recorder once more) to make slides on a 10 meter screen... via tga files sent to a McIntosh). You can save your "prints" into any format you want, namely jpg/gif.

Reply #5
I recently mirrored my website on Sympatico, to have a (faster) option for my Canadian compatriots. Ran into the same problem of undefined mime-type causing problems on nwc downloads. I wrote an email to their support address, to the following effect:

"Please associate the .nwc file type as application/octet-stream on your servers. This binary format is becoming increasingly popular as a medium for music composition files. Thank you in advance for your consideration."

Two days later the problem was fixed, as you can see by downloading an nwc file from

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/dogstar

How's that for a subtle ad? ;-)

Reply #6
Hey Fred, good idea, now let's pray (and act) to make GeoCities do the same !!! (cf Luc 18:1-5)

Reply #7
I have sorted out the printed music problem now - more or less as Bill said - by copying the print preview and pasting into MS Word and saving as a HTML file - only possible from Word97 I believe
- my next problem is how to put midi files on the web page - all the publishers I've had a go at have not been clear on this at all - I've managed to get a backgound midi playing by a <BGSOUND SRC="SongName.mid"> command - but to turn it off and on I've created a page with that command and another without it - so you can turn it off and on like that - cant it be done by creating a button of some sort ?
See my feeble efforts on :http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cream/
in The Songbook section

Reply #10
Thx Blair for this link :-)
I personnally use (in French) the "Bible de Jérusalem", and ain't used to the KJV (nor any english version in fact). But if this site allows to search for verses specifying words in, not in (ex: verses containing "god" and ("music" or "harp") and not "flute" : nohemie 12:36 and daniel 3:15, but not I Samuel 10:5 (in BJ)) a my program does, I'll use it often :-)

About upload/download NWC files: there is two advantages in using .zip files:
1. file date is preserved _in_ the .zip file (file datation is very important for me)
2. you can easily include a .diz, .nfo or .txt file in addition of the info part of NWC files. Moreover, you may add a specific file needed to properly display/print the file (though it is better to separate these files, since they may be common to many NWC files).

The size subject is now quite completely out of discussion, thanks to NWC compressed file. However, when making a BIG zip file with many (hundreds :) NWC files, it is better not to use the compressed NWC format; but the room gained is not so much... not the effort worthy in reality.

To Rob: I do not know a solution with a button, but it's sooooo long I didn't play with HTML... nevertheless, you may want to add "LOOP=-1" in your BGSOUND item, to make it repeat (endlessly), or LOOP=2 to make it play 2 times.
Maybe a solution with frames could be better (though not supported by *old* browsers)
For a hint, go and see Andrew Purdam's page (http://www.pcug.org.au/~apurdam/noteworthy.html ) where you can choose what to play. I suppose that using an "empty" .mid file, you can stop the music at will.

HTH,
          Marsu