Skip to main content
Topic: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth port unable to open (Read 2339 times) previous topic - next topic

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth port unable to open

I'm trying to playback MIDI files converted from NWC files through my PA for upcoming live performances but whenever I hit the NWC 'play' button I get no audio and the subject error message appears.  This seems to be a ommon problem with MIDI files but I haven't found a solution that works.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a solution?  I'm using Windows 10.

Re: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth port unable to open

Reply #1
Sounds like something else may be locking the port open.  Not sure what though...

Do you have other software running that uses the audio interface?  Like an ASIO driver (E.G. ASIO4ALL)
Or perhaps a VSTi installation.
Do normal system sounds work?*
Can you play an mp3?*

Perhaps it's worth looking into an alternative MIDI driver like BASSMIDI (which will give you access to soundfonts).  For the record, just about anything sounds better than that ancient Roland soundset that the Windows MIDI interface uses.

*These are non-MIDI so may not prove much other than if they don't work, in which case there may be something else going on.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks.  I'm using Windows 10 and routing a Roland VE-500 Vocal Harmonizer and an Iconnectivity headphone amplifier to my Carvin PA.  I got the Roland VE-500 because it was the only harmonizer I could find that can work by detecting the MIDI output data vs. a musical instrument input such as a guitar or keyboard.

Reply #3
Thanks.  I'm using Windows 10 and routing a Roland VE-500 Vocal Harmonizer and an Iconnectivity headphone amplifier to my Carvin PA.  I got the Roland VE-500 because it was the only harmonizer I could find that can work by detecting the MIDI output data vs. a musical instrument input such as a guitar or keyboard.
Hmm, given the Roland is using MIDI perhaps you can disconnect/disable it and try to access the MS MIDI port again - may be worth a reboot too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I'll try that thx....