Skip to main content
Topic: About staffs (Read 1593 times) previous topic - next topic

About staffs

Hi there, I am new to this forum and hope to get some answers on some questions.

I live in the Netherlands, so English is not my native language and maybe that's the reason I do not understand all the terms used in the manual. Maybe this forum can help me out. Years ago you could send an e-mail to NCW and you got an answer about your question. Nowadays not any more sadly enough.
I am using NWC many years now ( not so often) and use it mostly to convert opera sheet music into usable format for the opera-choir I am a member of.

My first question is: how can I get terms like "Andantino", "sotto voce", etc. on top of a staff.

Second question for the moment: how can I force a staff to start as a new line. When writing plain text like now and you want to start a new line you use the Enter button. How to do so with a new staff in NCW.

Waiting for an answer,
regards
Jan

Re: About staffs

Reply #1
Hello Jan,

First of all, there is still an email address for NWC Support, listed on this page.

I will try to answer your other questions. For adding text notes to your score, you can either do this using Performance Styles, or by using Text.  The commands to insert them are "Insert > Performance Style" and "Insert > Text" respectively.  "Sotto voce" is available as a predefined performance style, but "Andantino" does not appear to be, so that one would have to be inserted as text. There are options for choosing the horizontal alignment, and the vertical position is chosen by moving the anchor up and down on the staff, using Ctrl-Shift-Up Arrow/Down Arrow.

Forcing a staff to start on a new line is generally called a "system break". The easiest way to do this is to highlight the bar line in the top-most staff of your system, where you want the break to occur. Then press  select Edit > Properties (or press Alt-Enter) and check "Force System Break". You will see a "paragraph mark" in the score editor to remind you that there is a system break at this location, and you will see the break in your score during Print Preview.

Reply #2
1) Nederlandse vertaling van Mike's antwoord:

"Hallo Jan,
Eerste en vooral, er is nog steeds een email adres voor NWC support, op  deze pagina.
Ik zal proberen Uw andere vragen te beantwoorden. Om tekst-aanduidingen toe te voegen aan je partituur, kunt U ofwel 'Performance Style" gebruiken, ofwel 'Text'. De commando's om ze toe te voegen zijn resp."Insert > Performance Style" en "Insert > Text". "Sotto voce" is beschikbaar als een voorgedefiniëerde stijl, maar "Andantino" blijkbaar niet, dus dat moet als 'Text' ingevoerd worden. Er zijn opties om de horizontale uitlijning te kiezen en de verticale positie wordt gekozen door het anker op en neer te bewegen op de notenbalk, via Ctrl-Shift-Up Arrow/Down Arrow.
Om een nieuwe lijn te forceren in een notenbalk noemt men in het algemeen een 'system break'. De eenvoudigste manier is om op de bovenste notenbalk de maatstreep te selecteren waar je een niewe lijn wilt forceren. Druk dan "Edit > Properties" (or druk Alt-Enter) en kies  "Force System Break". Je zult een 'paragraaf-merkteken' zien in de editor om je eraan te herinneren dat er een paginasprong is op die plaats, ein in 'Print Preview' zul je sprong kunnen zien."

2) Wat 'Andantino' betreft, ik meen dat dit een tempo-aanduiding is. Als je "Insert>Tempo" kiest zie je daar een veld 'Optional Text Expression".
3) Voor een nieuwe lijn is er nog een tweede mogelijkheid nl. door vlak na een maatstreep "Insert>Boundary Change" te kiezen.
Onderaan heb je de keuze 'Force a new system' en daarnaast kan je ook nog een 'new page' aanvinken als je naar een  niewe pagina wilt springen.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #3
You can also 'insert tempo' for andantino if you want to show the metronome mark at the same time.