Skip to main content
Topic: Objects online synch (Read 2402 times) previous topic - next topic

Objects online synch

At times I use to do a check of the "objects" using "online synch".
Today all I can get is "unable to connect".
As far as I know, I don't have changed anything that could block it.
"Browse online" and "find it online" work fine.
Someone can help?

Re: Objects online synch

Reply #1
WHEW, I thought it was just me and haven't had time to chase it down.  I've been having trouble for a day or so.

Perhaps the website is having a problem?

Just did a packet capture and it seems that the TLSv1 protocol exchange is failing.  There is a handshake failure being reported by the Noteworthy server (api.noteworthycomposer.com)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I'm innocent, I'm innocent, I swear! (I am the only one who has fired out objects in the last weeks, as far as I can see ...)

But right now, all seems to work here - I could update (my own) four last changes ...

H.M.

Reply #3
Here everything is unchanged, i.e. fails.

Reply #4
I have a theory as to the cause of the problem, based on Lawrie's TLS v1 comment. Let me ask a question that I probably know the answer to already: are Lawrie and Flurmy (who both report having the problem) running Window XP? I'm pretty sure the rest of us (including me) are running a newer version of Windows. I am also having no problems doing a sync.

Do a search on "TLS 1.0 end of life" for more information. I am guessing that NWC's web host has already disabled it, and it appears that TLS 1.0 is the latest version directly supported by Windows XP. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong on that last bit.

Reply #5
Well, I'm certainly on XP...  Don't really want to change either

Reply #6
OK, I appear to have found a solution BUT be warned - this change to XP is permanent and means that you MUST turn OFF automatic updates - not really an issue as there are no XP updates anymore anyhow.  Though things like Office 2k7 updates etc. will now have to be manually followed up.

Check out this web site - it worked for me,.
https://sockettools.com/kb/support-for-tls-1-2-on-windows-xp/

While TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are not showing up in my internet options the way I expected them to, a packet trace confirms that TLS 1.2 at least is operative and appears to have been used to allow my Object update check to function.

Reply #7
Thank you very much, Lawrie, I'll try it.