Skip to main content
Topic: Chord with 1/4 and 1/8th note members (Read 2907 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord with 1/4 and 1/8th note members

I've used NWC periodically, so I don't consider myself an experienced user.  I mostly use NWC to generate midi files to provide the  accompaniment to practice playing instruments with.  I've run into a chord that seems to be in violation of the chord construction rules, and I'm trying to figure out how to either enter the chord, or work around it.

I'm working on a piano staff, if it matters.  The chord consists of 2 1/4 notes and 1 1/8 note (followed by another 1/8th note).  The 1/4 notes are B and D above middle C (the B is flatted by the key signature, if it matters).  The 1/8 note is the A next to the B.  The sheet music I'm working with has the 2 1/4 notes on the left of the cluster, and the two 1/8th notes on the right, joined by a bar.  Earlier in the same measure is the same construct using a B 1/8th note and an A and D 1/4 notes.

In the case of the chord that works, the 1/8 note is above the highest of the 1/4 notes.  In the chord that doesn't work, the 1/8th note is between the two 1/4 notes. I'm thinking I'm going to cheat for now and switch the notes around (it doesn't sound quite right but I can ignore it).  I can enter 2 of the notes, but I always get a "ding" when I try to enter the third.

I can live with the restriction; I'm just wondering if there is a way to work around it.

Thanks.
Jim

Re: Chord with 1/4 and 1/8th note members

Reply #1
Hello Jim,

I read through your description a couple times, and it is a little hard to visualize. Perhaps you could attach a small image file that shows what this looks like. You know that saying about a picture and 1000 words...

However, I think you might be describing a split-voice chord with overlapping notes, which can't currently be done by NWC in a single staff. You can, however, do this by using layered staves. If you can share a picture of the measure in question, I'm sure one of us could provide NWC notation that duplicates that appearance.

Mike

Reply #2
Do you mean something like this?
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-5^,-1,0^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-5,-2,0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
This sounds right but doesn't look very nice.
To have it nice, like Mike wrote, you must use layering.

Reply #3
Ok.  Here's a picture.  The circled notes on the left worked.  It's the one on the right that I need help with.

Reply #4
It can be done through layering staves.

Reply #5
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.751)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Spacer|Width:50
|Marker|Pos:9
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:n0|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward,StemLength=7.5,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=6.5,Beam=End
|Chord|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-6,-4,1
|Marker|Pos:5.5
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-5,0
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-5,-1|Opts:Stem=Down,XNoteSpace=1
|Rest|Dur:4th|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First,XNoteSpace=1.2
|Spacer|Width:33
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:#-2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Thanks.  Layering does not seem to be well explained in the documentation.   Having been pointed at it, it now makes sense.

Reply #7
There is a much simpler solution. In the second chord, instead of the 2 crotchets, make them tied quavers, Do that first. Then add the A and G sharp into the 2 resultant chords, ensuring that the tails are in the same direction as the tied quavers. You can use this method to "get inside" a sustained note and add all sorts of other notes.