Skip to main content
Topic: New Latency Fix (Read 1747 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Latency workaround fo...

New Latency Fix

This is a follow up of prior posts. Essentially, Windows 8 and on created additional latency issues due to removal of midimapper and a "forced" Microsoft soft synth.

I was using Coolsynth through my MBox (and its ASIO) to reduce latency in my recording from my guitar and Roland Equipment. Recently, the person who created Coolsynth has also now created a midimapper that can be installed. Though in beta form, the midimapper allows me to use a midi to USB cable directly plugged into my laptop from my Roland equipment without any latency. I can lay additional tracks as I am listening to previously recorded staffs without a problem. The programs are very simple (good thing for me!). Not sure if it is proper to provide links in the forum, so simply "google" Coolsynth. To get the additional midimapper program, will need to register to the Coolsoft forum.

Hope that helps.

After much gnashing of teeth and time attempting to eliminate latency (VST's, Coolsynth, etc.), I accidentally discovered a quick workaround. (As a note of background, the playing while an initial tempo or other track sounded tended to result in an eighth note delay in regard to the new track relative to the background track or rhythm track. As a further point of background, I use Coolsynth with almost no buffers instead of the dreaded Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth).

Initially, I used a rhythm track that started 1/8 note before beat 1 of the main repeat bar in a template track. Was "okay" but still left problems and complexities in later adding further parts based upon the earlier recorded track or tracks since they would have to be similarly adjusted.

Then, I discovered that I  could simply eliminate the 1/8 note in the subsequently played track and do a bar audit. Worked, but required some notation cleanup work in, illustratively, replacing tied eighths with a quarter note, etc.

More recently, I discovered that if I created, illustratively, a "rhythm" template (say, 4/4 time) with an introductory measure that only had three and one-eighth beats followed by the appropriate repeat sign and number of repeats, all would be good with the subsequently recorded tracks (without the need for cleanup notation editing). Essentially, the initial measure before the repeats would be "shorted" one-eighth beat. Same could be done with the subsequently recorded tracks if they are used as background for further recorded tracks (combined perhaps with some lead in rhythm measures). Not sure why it works, but does.

Not quite as nifty as actually getting the sequencing hardware and software to play nicely, but that may not be possible with Microsoft operating system. I have added a sample template file.