Skip to main content
Topic: Running this past everyone prior to wish listing (Read 3365 times) previous topic - next topic

Running this past everyone prior to wish listing

As you all know, you can set the location that playback starts, in the Tools/Options~midi dialog.
Would people find it easier to alter this at any time if it were part of the menubar... say as a separate dropdown list that could be altered, or as a selection that appears when the play button is pressed?

Re: Running this past everyone prior to wish listing

Reply #1
Maybe if you right-mouse click the Play button?
Personally, I use F5 and rapid use of the Ctrl-<- and
Ctrl--> keys.

A

Reply #2
My ideal in this regard would be a slider bar (like a scroll bar) much like the ones provided on most midi players (including microsoft Media Player) to quickly drag the current play position anywhere in the piece. It would be nice if clicking on the stops at the end would advance or regress one bar at a time.

I presently make considerable use of CNTL-G to goto a particular bar number, but it's a bit of a hassle remembering all those numbers.

Reply #3
I gave this subject som thaught only last night, and the solution I came up with was (simply enough) BOOKMARKS! Say, let's combine bookmarks with the previous reply, and let a right click on the play button bring up a list of defined bookmarks to start playback from? How about that?

Reply #4
While we're on the subject of bookmarks, it would be good
to have them at the beginning and end of a selection that
needs to be consistently replayed to get right.

Reply #5
David, you mean a piece of the score you're working on, and you want to enhance ?
I sometimes had to do such work (when composing directly with NWC) and the best solution I found was to create a "working file" in which I put only the few measures I was working on (and then set the play parameter from Start).
Really handy when you need to work on a full phrase.
If you have many staves (I once had 6 for such a work session), the simplest is to duplicate your current score, remove all the music before the part you're working on.

Other solution: you may program a macro that goes to a particular measure and then starts play from there... :-)

hth,
      MAD

Reply #6
Good idea, David and "MAD",
What if one could "select" across staves, with a special function key held down while selecting? That way I could select a complete (4 or 5 part) section of a song, and paste it into something else. Selecting without the key would perform only the default one staff select.
Tim

Reply #7
I would support Tim Gilmour's suggestion. 2-dimensional selection would be extremely useful for lots of operations, such as cutting and pasting, but also for applying other modifications to all parts together. I work a lot on 4-part choral music, and find it quite frustrating to have to repeat detailed changes four (or more) times over.

How about a related idea, a "power insert", which would insert an element across all staves? Just the thing to save a few dozen keystrokes when you need a fermata, a dynamic mark or a key change in all eight parts!

For comparison, 2-d selection is one of the strengths of another notation program I have used, called Mozart (see http://www.mozart.co.uk/).

Reply #8
Sure, "vertical" selection/action would give much power to us.
About "Just the thing to save a few dozen keystrokes when you need a fermata, a dynamic mark or a key change in all eight parts!", the Cut+Paste technique is very useful too.

Eric, if Ctrl-Y could be usable as . in vi or F4 (or Ctrl-Y) in Word, i.e. repeat last action, it would be _very_ useful too. Just a suggestion :-)

And once more, recording as a (temp.) macro a sequence of actions is a great improvement. Very useful in choir work when "vertical" writing is used (JSBach Chorals, for example).

hth, MAD