Skip to main content
Topic: NWC Offline Forum Using WindoZe 3.11 (Read 20933 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC Offline Forum Using WindoZe 3.11

Just a note to let any users still using Windows 3.1x that you can manually extract the EXE file using Pkunzip for DOS. If you have Win32's installed in Windows 3.1x, the 32-bit Winhelp will load in the extracted .HLP just fine (you'll have to rename the files to remove the whitespace 'tho, a glitch from unzipping long filenames in DOS).

Rich

Re: NWC Offline Forum Using WindoZe 3.11

Reply #1
Awesome! Thanks for that. It's nice to know that there are still others out there who prefer Jurassic Windoze to the "new improved" versions.

Reply #2
Didn't work at first... then I reread the post and the reference to the "32-bit winhelp". It seems that when installing win32s using the supplied installer, the 32-bit help files are not automatically extracted! You can get around this by opening the win32s archive file (the version I have is w32s130c.zip) in winzip, and manually extracting winhlp32.exe, winhlp32.cnt and winhlp32.hlp into your Windows directory. Optionally drag winhlp32.exe into your program group of choice to create the 32-bit help icon. And away you go!

Incidentally, the self-extractor works fine, but you do have to rename the files to eliminate the whitespace, as Rich indicates. Easiest way is from DOS, or using a DOS shell such as DCOM.

Reply #3
Coincidentally, the next release of the offline forum will use short filenames, NWCFORUM.HLP and NWCFORUM.CNT.

Reply #4
(Fred Nachbaur wrote on 15-Mar-1999)

>>>>>
Awesome! Thanks for that. It's nice to know that there are still others out there who prefer Jurassic Windoze to the
"new improved" versions.
<<<<<

Not to mention all of the new bugs, aahhheemmm <clearing throat>... I mean "features" <BG>.

Rich

Reply #5
>Coincidentally, the next release of the offline forum will >use short filenames, NWCFORUM.HLP and NWCFORUM.CNT.

Hooray, yippee and thanks a lot, NWC Support!

btw - this thing is awesome! Had no idea what I was missing. Great resource! :-)

Reply #6
That's great news about the shorter file names - particularly names without gaps in. This was one of the very tricky areas that was in my instructions on how to run the off line forum that I notified here last year sometime.

It will be far easier for us trogs to run this now.

Richard

Reply #7
I have a vision of the worlds last remaining BBS called YeOldeWorldeWindozeBBS and Richard and Fred as the last remaining correspondents.

Now own up - who was it the upgraded to Win 3.11 from 3.1?

While cleaning out a cupboard I found a copy of DOS 2.1 complete with manuals that you guys may be able use.
Who'd like to open the bidding? <smile-grin-TIC>

Reply #8
>>>>>I have a vision of the worlds last remaining BBS called YeOldeWorldeWindozeBBS and Richard and Fred as the last remaining correspondents.<<<<<

<LOL>! Boy, do I remember the good 'ole "BBS days", with my 2400 baud modem using Bitcom for DOS (and the people who saw me running Bitcom and saying "WOW!! What program is that???!" <BG>.

Rich

Reply #9
Hi Richard,

>>>>>That's great news about the shorter file names - particularly names without gaps in. This was one of the very tricky areas that was in my instructions on how to run the off line forum that I notified here last year sometime. It will be far easier for us trogs to run this now.<<<<<

BTW, y'all HAVE to check out ZIPBLANK and ZIPSHORT, two of Günter Nagler's utilities at http://www.iicm.edu/Cpub. These utils are GREAT :))!!

Rich

Reply #11
I have a whole lot of basic and assembler code programs for a C64 or 6502 chip if you would like them also.
And a bit of Fortran IV if your interested in drainage design circa 1970!
(Never got around to the ZX81 - a bit to advanced for me!)

Reply #12
About extracting files with long names under Win3.x, I'd like to add that you can use WindowsCommander too. It's a good replacement for Explorer/Winfile, winzip, pk(un)zip, rar, tar, and many others. I use it since 3 years now, under *any* windows version.
Referring to .hlp file for Win32s help, one hint is to rename nwcforum.hlp to nwcforum.h32 and to associate the .h32 extension to WinHlp32.exe :-)

Wow, it's good to get back the InterNet! Even with a 2400 modem (yup, it does still work...).

HTH,
          MAD

Reply #13
>>>>>Simple yet effective, still run it on my '286.<<<<<

Hehe, I used DRDOS 6.0 for years on my '286, remember that one? Man, that OS was nice, even came with disk compression and a defragger :) And, even allowed expanded memory (using a 3rd party memory manager) so that I could play Falcon 3.0 with all of the digital sounds enabled <G>.

Rich

Reply #14
Hiya Mad,

>>>>>About extracting files with long names under Win3.x, I'd like to add that you can use WindowsCommander too<<<<<

Thanx for the tip about Windows Commander :)) I have had WC for some time now and use it extensively, but never realized that it would remove the whitespaces in a ZIP file :)

Rich

Reply #15
<<<<<<<I have a vision of the worlds last remaining BBS called YeOldeWorldeWindozeBBS and Richard and Fred as the last remaining correspondents.>>>>>>>>>

Don't forget about CP/M and DRS . I might just relinquish these one day !

BTW - anyone know where the SoundBlaster BBS went to?

Rich.

Reply #16
My God Richard!
I have previously conferred King of Trog on Fred.
I guess I'll have to make you Prince of Lodyte!

Reply #17
Found the easiest way to deal with the associations situation is to re-associate ALL *.hlp files with winhelp32.exe. Works great. From File Mangler, click on any *.hlp file, then use File --> Associate to reassociate all help files with the 32-bit version. Works fine with every hlp file I've yet fun across.