Skip to main content
Topic: Boundary offset works strangely - and looks strange (Read 2630 times) previous topic - next topic

Boundary offset works strangely - and looks strange

A boundary offset, in NWC 2.75, does not work as one would expect: If you insert a boundary effect with exactly the upper and lower offsets of the staff, the effect is not nothing - rather, lyrics are moved in some strange way.

Now, probably all of you know that, and I could accept that as "that's how it works".

The problem is that when I want to use boundary offsets to increase the staff heights at a few places where there are two lyrics lines; and return to the standard size where there is only one lyric line, then the two lines
  • in print are nicely tiled downwards
  • whereas in the staff - where I compose and hence need at least a somewhat legible score - the stacked lyrics are tiled upwards, into the notes and staff, which makes it impossible to read the notes there.

Does anyone have an idea how to overcome this problem? (If I should add an example, I'd like to add my complete arrangement instead of creating a "demo example" - would that be ok?)

H.M.

Re: Boundary offset works strangely - and looks strange

Reply #1
I had a similar problem with some of the Schubert music I have been transcribing. I did find an answer that worked but anyway, put the question to this forum. Rick G. came up with a more elegant solution that involved putting the lyrics on their own staff.

I have tucked this solution away in my brain for future use but it may benefit you to review it as well.
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9320.msg66570#msg66570

Thanks again Rick.

Rich.

Reply #2
A - for me - non-obvious, but - the more I think about it - very  useful solution: Thank you, Rick and Rich!

Of course, it requires writing the "rhythm section" for the lyrics a second time; but that will even help in some cases - e.g., one doesn't have to misuse legato slurs as "lyrics slurs" - and, probably, I can finally write those _____ that some people want for extended syllables!

I'll try it!

H.M.

Reply #3
Glad it might be of help.

Also, you might like to look at Melismatic.nw  , a user object written by Noteworthy.

This object automatically takes care of extended syllables that you mention, whenever a melisma is encountered.

See

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9093.0
Rich.

Reply #4
I also have encountered this problem several times. Rick's solution seems (as always) to solve the problem in a nice way. I'll try it next time.

But what I noticed now when looking at and experimenting a bit with the example files in that topic: Increasing the 'Line Count' for the lyrics  automatically increases the 'Lower Boundary' (for lyrics under the staff) in the Staff Properties by 4 for every added line.

The 'Change Boundary Offset' on the other hand is not affected by changing the number of lyric lines.

BTW: After lowering the 'Line Count' by 1, a line of lyrics disappears (as expected), but it won't reappear if you restore the line count to its original value!  
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
BTW: After lowering the 'Line Count' by 1, a line of lyrics disappears (as expected), but it won't reappear if you restore the line count to its original value! 
Well, actually it sort of does reappear - but when you lowered the line count, you/NWC deleted the text for that line, so you now see an empty lyrics line.

H.M.