Skip to main content
Topic: Rest Placement (Read 1948 times) previous topic - next topic

Rest Placement

Is there any way of placing a quarter rest under the half note followed by the quarter note (example 1), eighth rest under the quarter followed by eighth note (ex 2) or tying the quarter note to a dotted half with a quarter rest under the dotted half followed by the two quarter notes. This is for a marimba part of a score. If I was hand writing the score that is how I would write it and in fact many, many years ago in university composition/orchestration (pre computers) that is how I scored these measures.

Re: Rest Placement

Reply #1
Is there any way of placing a quarter rest under the half note followed by the quarter note (example 1), eighth rest under the quarter followed by eighth note (ex 2) or tying the quarter note to a dotted half with a quarter rest under the dotted half followed by the two quarter notes. This is for a marimba part of a score. If I was hand writing the score that is how I would write it and in fact many, many years ago in university composition/orchestration (pre computers) that is how I scored these measures.
I think what you want to use are Rest Chords. Basically, you first enter a rest of a shorter duration, then use Ctrl-Enter to add the longer duration note at the same spot.  Attached is your snippet with a second staff added, which replaces your ties with rest chords (I had to leave in the tie to the triplet note, since it's an odd duration)

Re: Rest Placement

Reply #2
Ah yes that looks right. Thank you. lol the odd duration. The examples were taken from a project I found in the attic from my university days. It is a percussion arrangement/orchestration of Bela Bartok Mikrokosmos vol 6 147 Marche. The piece is full of odd durations. Got an A on the project. Thought I would transfer it to a digital record not only to exercise, expand and hone my Noteworthy skills (I have mainly used NW for choral pieces) but also to listen to a digital rendering of how it sounds. Again thank you!