Skip to main content
Topic: Imported MIDI file in NWC - unable to change volume or instrument of staves (Read 2304 times) previous topic - next topic

Imported MIDI file in NWC - unable to change volume or instrument of staves

Hello! I'm still a beginner.
I've a problem: I've successfully imported a MIDI file found in internet in my NWC version 2.75. The new nwc file is well working, and I only tried to change instrument and volume for the staves using as usual the staff Properties dialog box (I'm a choir member, and I need to have the alto voice louder than other voices). In other nwc files (some also imported from MIDI files)  I was able to do these changes, but not in this file. There is something I must do before to the file/to the staves for allowing these changes? Thank you in advance...

Re: Imported MIDI file in NWC - unable to change volume or instrument of staves

Reply #1
Hi Marcoruf,

I can't tell you what causes the problem, I never experieced that.
But I'm also a choir member and I think this user tool I wrote could be useful for you:
Make Rehearsal File

It not only sets the volumes, but also the stereo pan, and alters the dynamics to have constant velocity and varying volume (in order to accomplish a crescendo or diminuendo also on held notes). You will find more details in the link above.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #2
Thanks you a lot.
I'll try to understand how the MakeReharsal works, and to use it.
In the mean time, I've understood the reason of the problem: each staff was mapped on the same MIDI channell, so it was impossible for NWC to play a different instrument or volume on the same channel. Probably it coud be obvious, by I still don't know enough about the program.
Again, thank you for your suggestion

Reply #3
If I understand you correctly,
all you need to do, is to assign each voice to its own channel (if  they are on separate staves.
Remember to reserve channel 10 for percussion

If this advice does not help,
please post a sample of the song,to the forum, to allow the experts to fix it for you.

Reply #4
Thanks you a lot.
I'll try to understand how the MakeReharsal works, and to use it.
In the mean time, I've understood the reason of the problem: each staff was mapped on the same MIDI channell, so it was impossible for NWC to play a different instrument or volume on the same channel. Probably it coud be obvious, by I still don't know enough about the program.
Again, thank you for your suggestion
  • I consider to update the tool to add a check on duplicate midi-channels.
Always look on the bright side of life!