Skip to main content
Topic: NoteWorthy Composer making buzzing sound on certain view settings (Read 2964 times) previous topic - next topic

NoteWorthy Composer making buzzing sound on certain view settings

Ever since I got a new computer, when I have NoteWorthy Composer zoomed out on any setting further out from the default setting, there is a high pitched buzzing coming from my computer. The buzzing happens only when the NoteWorthy Composer window is being viewed, and it is not coming from my speakers (if I unplug my speakers the buzzing still happens on those view settings). I am using the most recent version of NoteWorthy. This also occurred with older versions of NoteWorthy.

Does anyone know how to stop this buzz from happening?

Re: NoteWorthy Composer making buzzing sound on certain view settings

Reply #1
Can you identify where the buzz is coming from?

E.G.  Monitor, system unit... 

Is it a speaker kind of buzz or something "different"..?

Might it be a fan noise from your video card?

If it is video related, do you have the latest video drivers for you video card/on board video?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I listened around my system. It is not coming from anything inside the tower. It's definitely not a fan or speaker noise, it's more of a high pitched machinery gone wrong type of noise.

Although, after listening around I found the source. My monitor has built in speakers on the back of it, and they are making the sound. I do not have any audio cables connected to my monitor, and my audio comes through separate speakers connected to an audio interface.

I have no idea why NoteWorthy Composer being open would cause the unconnected monitor speakers to act up on certain view settings. Do you know of any way to address this problem or do I just need to get a new monitor? (I got it used from someone)

Reply #3
The problem is probably associated with how the monitor responds to certain refresh rate/resolution settings.  Especially if it is a CRT.  Not usually a problem with LCDs.

Try setting the refresh rate to something lower - if it works, fine, if not, try higher.  Make sure you have a system restore point set in case you need to go into safe mode and do a  restore OR reset the refresh rate.

In XP, the refresh rate can be set by:
right click the desktop
select properties (menu item)
click advanced (button)
click monitor (tab)
choose a "screen refresh rate" from the drop down list
click OK

and see what happens...

Reply #4
It is an LCD monitor. I looked up the refresh rate settings; it was at 59 Hz and the only other option was 60 Hz. I tried 60 Hz and the problem remained the same. After googling the model to see whether others have had this buzzing, there appeared to be few with the problem but no solution was found...

Is there any way to adjust settings in NoteWorthy to possibly stop the buzzing?

Reply #5
I'm not aware of anything within NWCs settings that might impact this.

You might try to alleviate it by shorting the speaker input on the monitor - an easy way to test if it will be effective is to plug in a normal 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo cable into the speaker input of the monitor.  Instead of plugging the other end into the computer, short the 3 connections together (tip, ring and sleeve).  A bit of aluminium foil wrapped around the plug part will do this easily.

There is NO electrical hazard in doing this and by tying the inputs of both speakers to ground you may just stop the buzz.

Reply #6
If there is a headphone socket on the monitor, plug a suitable lead into it. That normally cuts off the speakers.
Nil illigitemae carborundum

Reply #7
If there is a headphone socket on the monitor, plug a suitable lead into it. That normally cuts off the speakers.
Problem is, it usually leaves the speaker wires simply disconnected (internally in the monitor), which is what they are now anyhow. 

By using my suggestion and actually shorting the speaker inputs to ground (the sleeve of the connector), the speakers voice coils are short circuited.  What this achieves is akin to electric braking for electric cars, any movement of the speaker cone will create a voltage at the speaker wires.  Shorting them creates a significant load which in turn resists the movement of the cone.

Ditto any induced current in the speaker wiring will be shorted out and make it impossible to power the cones.

If sound is still heard from the monitor after shorting out the speaker inputs then it isn't coming from the speakers.

Of course, none of this applies if the monitor has built-in amplification for the speakers - possible, but unlikely.

Reply #8
Hi Nijg,
do you have any updates for us?  I really like to know if my suggestion was helpful for you.