Skip to main content
Topic: How do I get the lyrics out of a MIDI file? (Read 4743 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I get the lyrics out of a MIDI file?

Hi NWC'ers!

This question has been asked awhile back (I looked at the Offline Forum), but I am hopeful there is new information available.

A friend just gave me a .MID file with the lyrics inside. Using Guenther Nagler's utilities, I can see that the text is in there, but I really can't make use of it. Does anyone know of a good way to get the lyrics out of the .MID file so I can copy them into NWC? The MIDI itself imports to NWC just fine.

Any and all help is appreciated, as usual. Thanx!

Sue

Re: How do I get the lyrics out of a MIDI file?

Reply #1
Not sure which program you are using, so not sure if this will work, but . . . If you have quick view or quick view plus installed, right click the file in Windows Explorer. If the words show up in the view, you can highlight and copy them (i.e. control "c") and then paste (i.e. control "v")into either a Noteworthy lyrics screen or a wordprocessing file.

If you know the which program produced the midi file (Midisoft?), maybe mention it. Noteworthy seems to have a lot of good guru's out there who may already be using the program and who could help.

Reply #2
I don't know what program produced the MIDI. The friend that gave it to me downloaded from an internet site of MIDI files.

He uses a MAC, and he has software similar to NWPlayer, that scrolls the words across the screen while the MIDI is playing. I have no such software, only the standard MIDI stuff that comes with Windows, and of course NWC.

I used Quikview and Notepad to examine the file and can see the words (same with the MIDI to TXT utilities), but the song is long and it is going to take a few hours to get the text out and clean it up using those methods (with the viewers the text has a lot of embedded symbols; with Nagler's utilties the text is all run together like one long word).

I'm hopeful there's a better way... ????

Reply #3
Look for a program called Easy Kar - I think from cnet.com
it allows you to save the text as a txt file