Skip to main content
Topic: Adjust font size of rest? (Read 2918 times) previous topic - next topic

Adjust font size of rest?

Hi all,
I'm working with rest chords.  Please see attached picture.  Notice that quarter rest is too large to fit into space between upper and lower notes of octave.  Is there any way to adjust the size of the rest--so that it doesn't cover the notes? 

I was able to adjust the stem length of the eighth notes so that they fit nicely in between the upper and lower ties.

Many thanks!  Peg M

Re: Adjust font size of rest?

Reply #1
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:Bb,Eb,Ab,Db|Tonic:A
|Text|Text:"n"|Font:StaffSymbols|Scale:60|Pos:-6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem,HideRest|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-9,-2
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-5,-4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-5,-4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Text|Text:"n"|Font:StaffSymbols|Scale:60|Pos:-6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem,HideRest|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-9,-2
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
To Rick G:
Thank you for your answer--but I don't understand it.  How do I adjust the size of the quarter rest?
Peg M

Reply #3
How do I adjust the size of the quarter rest?
You don't. Instead, you hide it and replace it with Text.

Reply #4
I have a separate question about this notation. I noticed that Rick's solution did not include the ties on the half notes, so I added them. But I noticed that they were not in the opposite directions, as in Peggy's example. Is there a way to get the bottom tie to be downward and the upper one upward? I tried, and was unable to do that. I suspect the a this is because a rest chord has a forced stem direction, which the ties are "obeying".

I am curious how Peggy was able to get the ties to display as she did. Perhaps she was using layers, rather than a single staff?

Reply #5
To Mike S:  Yes, I put bottom note of octave on 2nd staff and layered.  To get measure 2 to not show the full rest in 2nd staff, I copied the notes of the first staff down.  See attached picture.

To Rick G:  Many thanks.  At first I did not see symbols for musical rests in  Character Map--but after re-reading your first answer, I changed the font to Staff Symbols and found them.  Again, thank you.

Reply #6
Is there a way to get the bottom tie to be downward and the upper one upward? I tried, and was unable to do that.
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:Bb,Eb,Ab,Db|Tonic:A
|Chord|Dur:4th,Grace|Pos:-9^,-2^|Visibility:Never
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem,HideRest|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-9^,-2^
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-5,-4|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=5,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-5,-4|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=5,Beam=End
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End