Skip to main content
Topic: NWC format? Some API for it? (Read 7536 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC format? Some API for it?

Is it possible to have the layout for NWC file format? Or if that is a secret (commercial) information, can you provide with some API functions (in a DLL) like changing fonts for page elements, song and copyright titles and so on. I own a webpage and have a lot of *.NWC files. I would like to have this function in order to run a batch on all files instead of doing this tedious kind of work manually. Thanks a lot in advance for any kind of help.

Re: NWC format? Some API for it?

Reply #1
This would be a very useful feature. I would like to
be able to dynamically replace:

1) Lyrics
2) MIDI voice assignments (per staff)
3) Tempo
4) All "Info" fields.

I also have a collection of "Hundreds" of MIDI files, with all the info in different databases.

Reply #2
Yes - this would be very useful! I would use it to transpose (guitar) chord designations entered as text!

Reply #3
I don't think that the file format is a secret, but it is a lot of work to document it properly. The fact that it seems to change with every minor release means an even bigger documentation headache, plus suggests that your tools won't work for long. I think that the effort is better put into needed features that all users can use.

Reply #4
Yes, I understand the problem with documentation of the NWC format, since it changes with new releases. But there's a simpler way to help programmers -- it's to export some functions in a DLL. I think the functions in NWC itself CAN change every little parameter of the song :) So one only needs to export them.
Maybe this will be another commercial thing in addition to NWC, for example "NWC Toolkit" API DLL. :)