Skip to main content
Topic: Ritard at the end of final verse (Read 2336 times) previous topic - next topic

Ritard at the end of final verse

I'm recording a church hymn (3 verses) for a small group to sing to.  What is the best way to include a natural sounding ritard as the last verse closes out the hymn?

Re: Ritard at the end of final verse

Reply #1

Hi, robynadair.

In Noteworthy the tempo change commands "rallentando", "ritardano" and "ritenuto" all seem to do the same thing;  gradually change - up or down! - the tempo to the next tempo marking on the staff.  So, basically stick one in whenever you want the slowdown to start, and then insert an appropriate reduced tempo mark just before the end - say, at the start of the last bar.  If you want a "ritenuto" - which usually has a sudden but small reduction in tempo at the very start of the change, put that in just in front of the "rit" marking.  So, a crotchet tempo of 100 might change to 90 just before a "rit" two or three bars from the end, and be followed by a 60 at the start of the last bar.  You can make these markings invisible if you wish, though I don't.

MusicJohn, 12/Jul/16

Reply #2
Great....I'll try that.  Thanks for the tip.  Robyn

Reply #3
You'll need to use special endings if you want the rall only on the third verse. Something like

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#|Tonic:G
|Tempo|Tempo:120|Pos:8.5|Visibility:Never
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1,2|HideText:Y