Skip to main content
Topic: Paste as new file (Read 3903 times) previous topic - next topic

Paste as new file

Just wondering: if I have in the clipboard something that starts with "!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)" I can paste it in the current score or "paste as new file". Ok.
But if I have something that starts with "!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)" and a score opened, why NWC does not paste it automatically "as new file" but instead does a mess on the current score?  :D

Re: Paste as new file

Reply #1
Good idea.

Reply #2
why NWC does not paste it automatically "as new file" but instead does a mess on the current score?  :D
Perhaps because paste means paste, not "create a new window and paste"

Generally, I prefer apps to to what they are supposed to do.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Generally, I prefer apps to to what they are supposed to do.

As a general rule, I agree. But there are exceptions, and this strikes me as one of them. It's easy to ignore what the header says when picking up block of .nwctxt from the forum - that's not exactly where a reader's attention is. Why not fix it so it will paste properly whichever header it has?

Reply #4
With respect guys, I gotta agree with Rick here - Paste as new file is available with a score already opened and I can't believe you don't know you want to paste a clip as a new file...

Besides, I hate it when computers insist on telling me what they "THINK" I want :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
... that's why I love working in software development - all those nice customers having ideas about what's right and what not, but for some unfathomable reason not agreeing on what's right and what not ::) ...
... and, of course, me myself also knowing the one and only solution! ;)

H.M.

P.S. But it's not your computer telling you what you want - it's me, your software developer ;D

Reply #6
P.S. But it's not your computer telling you what you want - it's me, your software developer ;D
Same thing - I still hate it.  I know what I want, I HATE being told by someone/something else what they want me to want...  ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
As both a developer and a computer user, I find this thread interesting. A major challenge when creating software is keeping "how I would use the program" distinct from "how others will use the program". One way to do this is to provide multiple ways of doing a particular task, so that users with different preferences or workflows will be able to choose the method they like best. For example, in a custom object, some may want to make all of their changes in the properties dialog, while some may prefer to use right-click menus, and others may want to use editing keys (+, -, etc.).

Reply #8
Ok, let me put my two pences.
I really hate when computers (and mobile phones, and TV and...) try to guess what I want to do.
More often than not they guess wrong. I really can't bear the T9, for example.
I'm trying to fight this trend at least since win95, but with meager results.  :(

Now, back to the point.
Was I so unclear?

if I have in the clipboard something that starts with "!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)" I can paste it in the current score or "paste as new file".

This IMHO is perfectly ok. Nothing to add or change or remove.

if I have something that starts with "!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)" and a score opened, why NWC does not paste it automatically "as new file" but instead does a mess on the current score?
All you can get by pasting it in an open score is this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Text|Text:"!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:8|Wide:Y
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
So now please explain me: what's the use of this? Who can be interested in it?