Skip to main content
Topic: Not able to create backup on save... (Read 3617 times) previous topic - next topic

Not able to create backup on save...

I have this , umm, unusual problem, and it's probably one for Eric to consider.

Due to circumstances I prefer not to go into I've wound up with 2*Novell single server networks with separate eDirectories  (Novell's directory service - think AD, 2 different ones, if you're a MS person) that I log into concurrently.

Some machines default to one, others to the other and my main workstation running Win7 logs into one then maps a drive onto the other (thus requiring a second login that I manage automatically in the login script) - this seems to be where the problem stems from.

My primary storage of NWC files is on one server while my backup files are configured to be stored on the other server for this machine.  If I open a file on the same server as the backup location all is fine, BUT if I open a file from the other server I get a dialogue that says:

File: filename.nwc (whatever I happen to be working on)
Unable to create a backup for this file.
Save anyway?

with Yes and No buttons.

The file saves just fine, but I cannot get a backup.  If I move the backup location to the same server as the file I'm working on all is OK, but this is not a good solution for the particular circumstances I'm working under.

I'm more interested in determining if this is a general networking issue (don't have multiple AD's or MS Domains to test with as a comparison), a specific issue related to eDirectory or even some kind of multiple server issue.  Maybe it would even happen when storing files on one PC and having backups on another on a Workgroup - I can test that one, but not just now.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Not able to create backup on save...

Reply #1
OK, I have an update...
the problem does NOT occur from my XP notebook.  This points at Win7 and/or the Novell client for Win7.  M$ made some major changes to the networking platform in Vista and onwards so I suspect this is the root of the problem.  Out of interest I will continue to explore whether this is Novell specific or if it happens on other networks.

Eric, at this point, I'd suggest you ignore this as I think it's pretty clear it's not a NWC issue.

Reply #3
Thanks mate.  Dunno if it'll help or not but it doesn't hurt to know.

Reply #4
A simple test: try running NWC as admin (just once), and test the backup mechanism. If it works, then you likely have a permission issue.

Reply #5
A simple test: try running NWC as admin (just once), and test the backup mechanism. If it works, then you likely have a permission issue.
Yeah, umm, my account on both the Novell networks IS an administrator account - bad practice I know but that's how it is  :-[  ::)

However, when I get a moment, I'll try elevating NWC in Win7 to run as Administrator in case there's some weirdness between the local account and how it interacts with the Novell rights.

Reply #6
You indicated that there was no problem on XP, which raised my UAC suspicions. Unless you have UAC disabled, admin elevation might yield new info.

Reply #7
You indicated that there was no problem on XP, which raised my UAC suspicions. Unless you have UAC disabled, admin elevation might yield new info.

Good call - I have UAC set to a minimum but as you know, unlike Vista, in Win7 you can't actually completely disable it