Skip to main content
Topic: slur and chords (Read 5108 times) previous topic - next topic

slur and chords

I want to add a slur on the top and bottom notes between 2 chords. How do I do that?
 Thank you for helping beforehand!
 Edda

Re: slur and chords

Reply #1
Hi Edda,
Do you mean a slur, or a tie?  The two are different.  Chords can have multiple tied notes, but a chord can have only 1 slur.

To apply ties to an entire chord, simply select the chord and press the slash </> key.  To apply a slur select the chord and pres the semicolon <;>.

If you want to add a tie to say 1 note of a chord, press the slash </> prior to adding the chord member.  If you want a tie on, say, 2 notes of a 3 note chord, then press the slash </> before adding each of the chord members that need the tie.

If the chord member you want to put a tie on already exists then you must remove it: position the cursor immediately after the chord member and in the same vertical position, press <Ctrl+Backspace>, press the slash </> then press <Ctrl+Enter> (make sure the duration of the chord member to be added is correct - normally the same as the other chord members).
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I want to add a slur on the top and bottom notes between 2 chords. How do I do that?
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|BoundaryBottom:16|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Lyrics|Align:Standard Rules
|Lyric1|Text:"fail-ing\n"
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-8|Opts:Stem=Down,Slur=Downward,StemLength=4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=5
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
 Thank you for helping beforehand!
 Edda
As Lawrie mentioned, for tied chords, each notehead can have its own tie line between chords, but only a single slur line is supported. There are a few ways to get multiple slur lines:
  • Use two layered staves, as in Rick's example.
  • Use one of the new Slur custom objects, which are described here and here. These slurs are ornamental only; they do not affect playback or lyrics.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Mike

Reply #4
If the chord member you want to put a tie on already exists then you must remove it: position the cursor immediately after the chord member and in the same vertical position, press <Ctrl+Backspace>, press the slash </> then press <Ctrl+Enter> (make sure the duration of the chord member to be added is correct - normally the same as the other chord members).
While this method still works, there is an easier way to add or remove a tie for an individual note in a chord. If you right click with the cursor over the left-most notehead, there is a context menu selection to select a tie for that notehead.  (It helps to be zoomed in a bit when you do this.)

Mike

Reply #5
Thank you for the answers!  I wanted the slur above and below two chords. so that is impossible without adding the extra overlapping staff..  No problem If I really miss it I will add the extrsa staff later.

Reply #6
You are welcome.
I wanted the slur above and below two chords. so that is impossible without adding the extra overlapping staff.
Not impossible:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|BoundaryBottom:16
|Lyrics|Align:Standard Rules
|Lyric1|Text:"fail-ing\n"
|User|Slur.ms|Pos:-9|Span:3|Dir:Downward
|Chord|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward,Beam=First|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-8
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-7,-5
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-6
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
I return to this discussion to ask how I can resolve the slur of the chord shown in the image. I have tried various combinations, to no avail. Thank you. Lorenzo

Reply #8
Hi Lorenzo,
as mentioned in the previous replies, there are really 2 answers:
  • Use layered staves with just the notes required with the slur for those notes added on each staff (reply #2 from RickG)
  • Install the "slur.ms" user object and use the technique shown in the response immediately above your request (reply #6 from RickG).

slur.ms is available here if you don't already have it installed:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9120.0
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
Thanks Lawrie, that's what I did trying again after submitting my request. Excellent result, considering that the slurs can be modified making them very beautiful from a graphic point of view.
Have a good week.
Lorenzo

Reply #10
Maybe it has already been written in the forum.
I discovered that by adjusting the ends of the slur with the markers (AltGr + @)), if you make the first marker invisible, the slur also no longer appears visible. So you can insert slur.ms or slurCubic.ms for an optimal and personal rendering from the graphic point of view, without compromising the musical line.
A good evening to you.
Lorenzo

Reply #11
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the "tie" function. It cannot be moved and sometimes it overlaps with slur or other ties.
Tips.
Good day to you.
Lorenzo

Reply #12
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the "tie" function. It cannot be moved and sometimes it overlaps with slur or other ties.
"That's life, or at least this software". Only meta-advice from me:

a) Scenario 1 is "I want to write scores for reading" (and not playing via MIDI/listening): Then, don't use ties in these cases; replace them with slurs.
There are special problems at line breaks, but they can be approximately solved with headless+stemless grace notes - see attachment, which doesn't fully solve them - there's some more trickery needed.
One problem here is that listening is often a helpful proof-reading tool - in this case, you need to ignore the separated notes you will hear.

b) Scenario 2 is "I want to hear the right things = ties need to be ties". I only know the solution to have a separate invisible staff for the sound - only there you use ties; the visible staff is done as in a scenario 1.

H.M.

Reply #13
All very clear! Thanks for your kindness, HM.
Have a good evening.
Lorenzo