Skip to main content
Topic: extra note spacing (Read 2395 times) previous topic - next topic

extra note spacing

I'd like to reiterate Rick's often-stated request for incremental extra note spacing. It's needed for extended passages of crossed voices, such as the alto and soprano in the attached example of a choral piano reduction for rehearsal purposes. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this looks really crappy. Even just a half-space option would be vastly better. Decimals would allow fine tuning. Please?

Re: extra note spacing

Reply #1
I'd like to reiterate Rick's often-stated request for incremental extra note spacing. It's needed for extended passages of crossed voices, such as the alto and soprano in the attached example of a choral piano reduction for rehearsal purposes. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this looks really crappy. Even just a half-space option would be vastly better. Decimals would allow fine tuning. Please?
There is another use case where fractional extra note spacing would provide better appearance for layered staves. When whole notes are on adjacent staff positions, the "weak side" note is moved by more than one note width, so notes on a layered staff that have extra note spacing of 1 will not quite line up. See the following clip.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|WithNextStaff:Layer|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3,-2
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-7,-5|Opts:XNoteSpace=1
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Reply #2
When whole notes are on adjacent staff positions, the "weak side" note is moved by more than one note width, so notes on a layered staff that have extra note spacing of 1 will not quite line up.
Perhaps. But I see nothing wrong with this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Single|WithNextStaff:Layer
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3,-2z
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Single
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace|Pos:-2^|Opts:NoLegerLines,Muted|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-7,-5,-2|Opts:XNoteSpace=1
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
IMHO, a better fix would be to tighten up the whole note second interval spacing by default.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Again learned something I didn't know (or haven't tried to find out myself) before ... Thx!
H.M.