Skip to main content
Topic: Downgrade to 2.5.5 (Read 4702 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Downgrade to 2.5.5

Reply #1
It can be done if you kept a version of the previous 2.5.5 installer (uninstall and reinstall the older version).

But why on earth should you ?  The basics of 2.75 are the same as that of 2.5.5 but the added goodies are way beyond belief.  I have been converted to 2.75 and would not go back even if you paid me!  My suggestion would be to continue using 2.75 and simply use what you are used to using - those things have not changed at all.

Reply #2
I order to use my scores also on IPad, I use conversion tools from nwctxt to xml. However the nwctxt from 2.75 is different from the previous version. As a consequence: one tool does NOT accept the new nwctxt at all, another tool has problems with the conversion of the lyrics, especially with special characters like é è ë å aso.
Another point ( less important) is the layout of the new insert toolbar: less efficient then in 2.5.5

Reply #3
Another point ( less important) is the layout of the new insert toolbar: less efficient then in 2.5.5
You could, if you want, customize it ...
... but being a efficiency freak myself - that's the whole reason I use NWC -:
(a) I wonder what is less efficient?
but
(b) for efficiency, I use almost only keyboard commands, so I do not really care for the toolbars ... Wouldn't that be the way to go?

Harald

Reply #4
I order to use my scores also on IPad, I use conversion tools from nwctxt to xml. However the nwctxt from 2.75 is different from the previous version. As a consequence: one tool does NOT accept the new nwctxt at all, another tool has problems with the conversion of the lyrics, especially with special characters like é è ë å aso.
Hi Paul,
Who wrote the nwctxt to xml tools?  Have you asked if they have an update in mind?  I would be very surprised if, now that 2.75 has been officially released, an update isn't forthcoming.

Issues with special characters in lyrics probably stems from the changes made to support unicode.

The change in the tool bars to include selectors wasn't my favourite change either, but I have learned to work with them and a little practice has it pretty much as fast as before - anyway, as mentioned by Harald, the keyboard shortcuts still exist and they are faster still.

I think the real dealbreaker for you is the nwctxt to xml tools - I would definitely check with the developer(s) and find out what's planned.

In the meantime, if you still have the 2.5.5 installer, you can either uninstall 2.75 and reinstall 2.5.5 OR you could (depending on your version of Windows) set up a virtual machine running another copy of Windows and install 2.5.5 in the VM.  that way you can have both running independantly of each other.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
The conversion tool I prefer is:http://nwc2musicxml.appspot.com/
The owner of the tool  informed me about the intention to adapt to 2.75, however This Will take time.
As we are with our choir in the middle of a project with Spanish and Swedish I consider a downgrade in the meantime.
Or can I Change the nwctxt file with "word" in order to support the special characters?

Oh yes, I like keyboard shortcuts as well; hower I  didn't find them for dynamics. I added them to the insert toolbar.

Reply #6
... I  didn't find them for dynamics ...

D and then p or m or f 1...3 times does the trick for me ...

Or, of course, Shift-D if you want then to run up or down the combobox.

Reply #7
I order to use my scores also on IPad,

Are you using playback? If not, why not just print your scores to .pdf files? I carry NWC scores to rehearsals on my Android tablet that way - works just great. (There are numerous tools out there that you can use to print to .pdf. I use PDFreDirect; others on this forum have different favorites. Try one or two and see what you like.)

Reply #8
In the choirs I sing in, people with a Windows system use NWC Viewer to practice songs at home for the rehearsals; For people with Apple computers, I export to midi to be used by Myriad's Melody Player or GarageBand ; For Ipad's, Iphones I convert via XML to mscz for Musescore Songbook.
PLAYBACK is an excellent help!!