Skip to main content
Topic: NWC 2.75 and the new User Object facility. A thank you. (Read 2335 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC 2.75 and the new User Object facility. A thank you.

Hi guys.

Eric, thank you for this new facility.

Those who have created objects, thank you too.

I have recently had to notate a couple of "quick and dirty" scores for a Christmas Carols band I've got happening for my church this year, and with the new objects things that use to take me ages with text objects or things I simply never bothered with are now easy.

This product just keeps getting better and better, and the opportunity for user input in the offerings available are excellent.

Thank you all again,
Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: NWC 2.75 and the new User Object facility. A thank you.

Reply #1
I second Lawrie's comments, and add a mea culpa: early in the 2.75 beta cycle, I complained loudly about the development time devoted to the User Object interface instead of improving the native abilities of the program, fearing that the Objects would be as useless to me as User Tools have been. I was wrong. They vastly expand the scope and abilities of the program, and free further development from the beta cycle, so that improvements to NWC can continue to happen incrementally between cycles. This was a very wise decision on Eric's part.

I do have one quibble - or perhaps it's a question. Why are these called "objects" instead of "plug-ins"? I recognize that the requirement to place an object in the score in order to use it is different from the usual plug-in behavior of adding menu entries, but the function is the same. It seems to me an unnecessary confusion for newbies who have used plug-ins elsewhere. But maybe I'm just being cantankerous.

Re: NWC 2.75 and the new User Object facility. A thank you.

Reply #2
I do have one quibble - or perhaps it's a question. Why are these called "objects" instead of "plug-ins"? I recognize that the requirement to place an object in the score in order to use it is different from the usual plug-in behavior of adding menu entries, but the function is the same. It seems to me an unnecessary confusion for newbies who have used plug-ins elsewhere. But maybe I'm just being cantankerous.
Actually, the forum is named "Object Plugins" so perhaps they are both. :)

But this is my take on "object" versus "plugin". The "plug-in" is the script that gets installed (once) in your UserPlugins folder; it is the part that "plugs into" NWC to create new behaviors. These behaviors are created by inserting "objects" in scores, in the same way that notes, rests, bars, time signatures, instrument changes, etc. are inserted. Each object that has been added to a score "points to" its designated plug-in.

Or, for the TL;DR crowd: you install a plug-in, and you use its corresponding object.

Mike