Skip to main content
Topic: A user object request - decorated repeat bars (Read 3627 times) previous topic - next topic

A user object request - decorated repeat bars

Hi you guys that have skills in user objects:

Occasionally, scores I play have "decorated" repeat barlines - they have "wings" similar to the orchestral brace which helps make them easy to find, especially in an unfamiliar piece.

Some time ago I played with creating "handwirtten" style barlines in a font, to be used by superimposing them on existing barlines - even wrote a user tool to do it, but it's a bit of a pain when compared with the usefulness of a user object.

I envisage puting a user object at the beginning of a staff, and then whenever a master repeat open or close barline is encountered, it gets enhanced - preferably with a controllable extension so that the decoration can be varied to taste.

Any takers?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: A user object request - decorated repeat bars

Reply #1
Hi Lawrie,
can you attach a sample of those "decorated bars"? Even if I'm not the best creator in this forum (in fact, I'm the worst  8) ) I could try it if nobody else want to take it, but the first thing I need is to see a sample before telling if I can do it...
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #2
Hi Lloyd,
this is an example of the font approach I tried with my SwingDings typeface.

Many commercially printed scores use a shape similar to the NWC Orchestral brace.

Reply #3
hummmm I think I'll try...  :D I hope to get something in a couple of days.
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #4
Thank you gentlemen :)

Lloyd, I look forward to seeing your results :)

Reply #5
this is an example of the font approach I tried with my SwingDings typeface.
What font and characters did you use to decorate the repeats? I am trying to duplicate your attachment, but I can't find any glyphs that look like the decorations that you used.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
What font and characters did you use to decorate the repeats? I am trying to duplicate your attachment, but I can't find any glyphs that look like the decorations that you used.

Hi Rick,
it was a font I created for the task, called "SwingBars".  The user tool I created semi-randomly selects from an array of lines to over write EVERY barline to make it look hand written - looks OK, but fiddlely in practice because if you need to edit something you really need to remove the text barlines and then redo them afterwards.

It doesn't handle extended barlines either (Orchestral or grand staves).

Reply #8
Thanks Rick - I'd completely forgotten I'd posted that  :o