Skip to main content
Topic: Create Template (Read 3282 times) previous topic - next topic

Create Template

I have tried to create a template as per instructions but when I try to save it it tells me a don't have administrative permission.
This is my computer. There is no one else on it.  What do I do?

Re: Create Template

Reply #1

Hi, Bob.

It might be something as simple as you're trying to save it in the wrong place.

Just check:

You must do a "Save as ..."

You must then go to the "Save in ... "part of the "Save" window, and navigate to where Noteworthy has actually stored the Custom/Rythm and other Template Files.  On my Computer that's C:/Program Files/Noteworthy/Template.

And "Save".

Try again, and come back and tell us how you get on.

MusicJohn, 12/Sep/15

Reply #2
If you are running Windows Vista or later, the C:\Program Files folder (or C:\Program Files (x86) if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows) is protected, can't be saved to directly from within Noteworthy Composer; you will need to first save your template NWC file to a non-restricted location (e.g. your desktop). Then, using Windows File Explorer, move the file to the templates location, which is generally C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Template or C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Template. You will see a prompt similar to the attached image. Click Continue and the file will be moved.

Also, I believe that the top level Template folder is reserved for NWC templates, so you should probably save your template in the Template\CUSTOM folder. Alternately, you can create addition sub-folders in the Template location, and they will show as separate tabs when you do New...

Let me know if this works for you.

Mike

Reply #3

Hi again, Bob.

Yes, Mike's right.  I'm afraid I'm still using NWC 1.75 running under W2K, which doesn't seem to get so tetchy about Administrator Powers (or the lack of them).  My apologies for probably misleading you.

So ... how did you get on with Mike's suggestion?

MusicJohn, 13/Sep/15

Reply #4
I'm still using NWC 1.75 running under W2K
Really? I was thinking I was the only one left!  :))
Of course, only for my "music" computer, i.e. the one close to the keyboard.

No, wait, 1.75? Oh, no, no.
I use 2.51a, albeit without user tools.
Too big the difference ad too useful the enancements to not use v. 2!

N.B. I didn't try v. 2.75 there... yet. Shoud I expect problems?

Reply #5
N.B. I didn't try v. 2.75 there... yet. Shoud I expect problems?
To the best of my recollection, NWC 2.75 will require Windows XP SP3 or later, so if you are still running Windows 2000, you might be left out in the cold.

Reply #6
NWC 2.75 has not been tested on W2k, and is not officially supported on it. However, I did boot it up in a VM, and NWC 2.75 RC2 will run. YMMV...

Reply #7

Mmmm.  Rich has been gently nagging me about this, but ... since for the most part my Files are Choral Works used simply for rehearsal assistance, and 1.75 generally provides any sound effects I can be bothered to utilise (and anyway 2.5 et al, and now 2.75, seem mostly to be about visual improvements), I have never found it necessary or even especially advantageous to move up.  However, once 2.75 comes out for real I will bite the bullet (and probably break another tooth, but hey, that's life), and switch over.  And I might even use my W7-upped-to-W10 machine!

So, Bob: how have you got on with Mike's advice?

MusicJohn, 15/Sep/15