Skip to main content
Topic: Recording onto Mini Discs (Read 17291 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording onto Mini Discs

Last November, https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=784 looked at recording .wav files onto a CD. Mini Discs, 'tho they haven't quite caught on yet, are a far more versatile medium for home digital recording. Indeed I'm surprised they haven't found their way into PC's, - their small size would make them particularly effective with notebooks. But it seems that DVD is all the rage now. Nevertheless, has anyone out there tried recording from their PC onto a Mini Disc? Or has anyone any views on the subject?

Peter.

Re: Recording onto Mini Discs

Reply #1
Hmm.. Well for the price of a minidisc recorder I got a good CD-RW. It holds data, not just music, so I can back up my hard drive. Also I recorded my songs I made in NoteWorthy and put them on a CD which I can play in the car or lend to a friend. (I don't even know anyone who has a minidisc player.)

That isn't to say they won't catch on (CD's took about 10 years before they became common, and LPs went underground). Its just that CDs are so popular right now and are versatile, holding audio or data..

Reply #2
Although Shane is positively correct on all counts, I can see that the minidisc is very efficient particularly from a size point of view.
However if one wants to record professionally and not carry his PC to the studio every time, CDs are a better option. Thats because provided your soundcard and minidisc do not have optic line out/in respectively, one will perform an analogue recording using (ideally) golden cables to reduce noise and distortion. But it will still find its way into the recording. A CDR? Direct digital recording, no hisses no noise AND you can Digitally record with it in the Recording Studio (provided they have the equipment and you are willing to pay for the quality).
If however the soundcard has optical line out (e.g. AWE 64, Soundblaster Live) and your minidisc an optical line in, then the minidisc track is going to sustain minimal hiss and distortion, vs analogue cables that introduce more.

So to answer your question, use a (golden prefferably) cable to connect your soundcard with your minidsc and record as if you were recording from a CD.

Reply #3
Hi.

Saw your comments regarding the recording onto mini discs.

I want to buy a portable mini disc recorder for my boyfriend for christmas.

He DJ's professionly and does do work in the studio.

Could you please advise the best type of mini disc recorder

Cheers

Reply #4
Hi
I've done a lot of recording from PC to MD, and they sound great. All you have to do is connect your MD to your speaker output, and away you go. This is convenient when you want to record an entire cd, because all you have to do is set up a playlist, and the MD will automatically place track marks inbetween the songs.
Jill

Reply #5
how about recording from cassette or minicd to the harddrive? Anyone know how this is done? thanks
Steph

Reply #6
i can record music to my portable md recorder from cassettes cds mp3s and other sources....it is great to own and use the digital format of the cassette!

Reply #7
Is there such a thing as a mini disc recorder Designed for Data (software) formats as well as music? Does such a beast exist?

Reply #8
Paul,

W/ regards to (WRT) your data/music mini-disc question:
the data versions are 650MB electro-optical/magnetic versions. They look the same, but they aren't. Sony (the inventor of mini-disc) made the decision to differentiate between the music and data versions of its product. So, in short, no they don't exist.

Cheers,
Rex

Reply #9
Hi I want to get a mini disc player but I don't know what the price is, can you tell me how much the mini disc player and the mini discs cost?

Reply #10
hey,
i just got an aiwa minidisc player/recorder and i can't figure how to record anything onto it. can someone help me?

Reply #11
Hey everyone,

I have recently received a md and was wondering if someone could tell me how to record songs onto a blank minidisc?

Reply #12
Ya' might do!

Reply #13
i just got MD player and i understand that to record music from your pc, you need to connect to tour speaker outlet.Could somebody tell me where that is on the computer.

Reply #14
ok to record on to a md from ur pc all u have to have is an anilog corde and a blank md. u plug one end of the cord into the head phone jack on ur pc and the other in to the line in port on ur md. u ajust ur recording level and get a play list on ur pc and push record on ur md and push play on ur pc. and walla. instant free music. I have had my md for about three months and i have hours and hours of great music. It has been one of the best purcheses i have ever gotten. the only down side is that u can't put data on it. I hear the japanes have that but since we live over here we wont have that stuff for a while. so if u have3 any more ? just e-mail me and ill be happy to try to answer them. =)

Happy recording

md's all the way!!!!!!

Reply #15
I just got a minidisc and I want to be able to use it for putting data on. Does anyone know of any software that'll do this or do I have to make my own? I'm thinking of writing one that makes the files to zips then plays them like audio files a lá the old cassettes you used to get for spectrums/amstrads. If there's one about I'll save myself the effort

Any thoughts anyone?

Reply #16
I have an optical out on my sound card.
Does any one know if there is any mini dics editing software for the PC that will let me title my minn disc tracks via my computer????

Reply #17
Hi, I just bought a Sony MD player/recorder and I can record analog and it sounds good, but I want to record digital. It came with an optical/digital cable but both ends are different. The end that's supposed to plug into the computer is a weird shape and won't fit, the computer has a digital line out but it's the same size as a mini plug, and the cord is a differen't shape. could anyone tell me if I can get an adaptor for it or what soundcards are compatable with Sony optical cables?

Reply #18
hie,
anybody out there to advise/assist me with sources for this
thing called MD and the player/recorder,and how i can order. a price guide will do. by the way i live in zimbabwe.
thanx.

Reply #19
Does anyone know how to get the output volume up any when recording MP3s to Mini Discs? I've seen people get better and higher output volume then me and I want to know how as well.

Reply #20
Does anyone know how to record onto an md? If so, could you PLEASE send me a list from one to ten on what to do? PLEASE HELP ME!!

Reply #21
Can somebody please tell me if u need to convert MP3s to WAV. format b4 u copy them on to minidisc, and if so, how do u do this?
I WILL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL TO ANYBODY WHO CAN HELP ME!!!!!

Reply #22
Ok,

In response to all the questions about the means to go about recording song data onto a MD; Get yourself some source data (I'm sure you ahve something in mind, you fav somg, cd, tape, LP, EP, etc...) determine the output that your player gives. This is done be looking at the player if you have a 'phones' or 'optical digital out' plug these is probably ideal.

Hope this helps...
William ~ hpux@turbosport.com
Find a cable that interfaces between the ourput of your player to the 'mic,' 'line,' or 'optical' input or your Mini Disc recorder.

If you are using an analogue source (anything but optical/digital) then hold down the || (pause) button of your recorder then press/slide the rec button.

Get your source ready (in pause) and press pause on the reorder then the player (or simultaniously, if you prefer) and away you go! Some of the Mini Disc recorders have a auto mark feature that automatically places track marks when there is a 3 or more second pause.

If you are lucky enough to enjoy the crystal clear benefits of the optical/digital transfer then ready your Mini Disc recorder by enabeling 'syncro recording' then pressing record while holding down the pause button (as described above) once your recorder is all ready just press play on your source and enjoy.

(answers/corrections to other posts)
No, you dont have to decompress Mp3's to WAV's before transfer (is it really all that much more work typing actual words? all the 'u' '4' stuff is really annoying.)

Yes there is a Mini Disc Data drive, done by sony, yes it does use special discs, but it is only 140 Meg, and *very* hard to find.... (I am in the process of finding one right now)

Even tho you have a optical sound card it dosent mean that you can interface with the Mini Disc recorder in any special way. This is a purely audio-stream only connection

for optical cables, www.minidisco.com is a good source...
note: the included cable is a TOSlink - miniplug

Reply #23
I want to store data on a miniCD. I have seen some neat Credit Card shaped ones for sale, my question is: What internal CD writer supports writing to this media type? Help.

Reply #24
Does anybody know how can I record from Mini Discs to CDrs?
Please...email me with the awnser...Thanks!

Reply #25
Anybody know how to solve any problems with recording from Napster on Laptop to minidisc:

Problems:

1.Napster starts to play the song then freezes up after 1 second.
2.Laptop occasionally does not recognize the USB input. This appears to be random as to wether it recognizes it or not.

Please e-mail me at jomo69@lycos.com

thank you

Reply #26
can somebody plz help me,

My problem is i don't know how to record fomr my PC t my minidisc recorder, i got an optical cable, which conencts the line out of my minidisc player to the digital out of my sound card, but on my Mini Disc recoder it says "no signal"

can somebody plz help or know another way to record form PC to MD, also if i'll need any cables thxs

Reply #27
Q1-this may be a stupid question, but can mini discs be recorded over multiple times or just once.
Q2-does it record at the same sound level as your playing it on or do they record on the same level everytime?
Q3-do u just set up a playlist and it will seperate each song? or do u have to do each song separate?

please help, im an idiot

Reply #28
HOW DO YOU RECORD ON MINI DISCS FROM REGULAR CD'S?

DO I NEED SOME KIND OF SPECIAL CD TO MD CONVERTER OR WHAT??

I AM SO CONFUSED!! PLEASE HELP!!

Reply #29
to my knowledge, the optical cable is usable only with optical line out (which is not so often).
Otherwise a "normal" cable can be used : line out preferently, and line in (mic?) on the MD.
BUT this means that there is a DAD process (Digital[CD]-Analog[Cable]-Digital[MD]).
BTW, I never heard a difference... This won't be worse than listening to an MP3 in any case.

HTH.
And please DON'T SHOUT here :)

Reply #30
Hey everyone. I am new to this mini disc thing. I just got a free sony Xplode sterio for my car and I was just wondering how I can take my MP3s or other cds and put them on to a mini disc. Can some one out there help me out. Thanks

Reply #31
What's this got to do with Noteworthy Composer?

Reply #32
Does anyone know how to use the digital pclink/usb port connection for md record,playback,download etc.?????????????

Reply #33
Hi
I'm planning on buying a recordably md. Coz the ones were u download off the comp are too expensive i want to know how to record songs from my cds to the md, i'm not sure whether i could use my stereo as it is quite old?

Reply #34
This thread is kept for historical purposes, but this site is not a MD support site.