Skip to main content
Topic: Solved: Problems opening UTF-8 files in NWC2.75 Preview 41 (Read 2652 times) previous topic - next topic

Solved: Problems opening UTF-8 files in NWC2.75 Preview 41

Hi,

I seem to have encountered problems opening UTF-8 files in NWC2.75 Preview 41.

Problem 1:
The clip below contains the lyric line with UTF-8 letters:
|Lyric1|Text:"testḁ testẙ testẚ testẻ testẽ testỉ testủ testỳ\n"
I am able to paste the entire clip as a new file into Preview 41, and save it as NWC and NWCTxt file.
However, when I try to open the NWC file from Windows Explorer, it gives the error "This is a version '2.75' file, which is from a newer version of this application." Similarly, when I try to open the NWCTxt File, it says "Loading" in the status bar, but the NWCTxt file doesn't get loaded.

Solution:
After some investigation, I managed to solve the problem as follows:
1) Inside Windows Explorer, right-click on the NWC or NWCTxt file, and select "Open With" -> "Choose Default Program..."
2) Then select "Browse...", then browse to the NWC folder, and select "nwc2test.exe" and Ok
3) Then under Other Programs, select "NoteWorthy Composer 2 Main Program"

Problem Solved! The NWC and NWCTxt files opened without any problems.

Problem 2:
I then edited and saved the NWCtxt file in Notepad, by inserting hyphens in the lyric line as follows:
|Lyric1|Text:"test-ḁ test-ẙ test-ẚ test-ẻ test-ẽ test-ỉ test-ủ test-ỳ\n"
However, when I try to open the NWCTxt file again, it had the same problem as before, saying "Loading" in the status bar, but the NWCTxt file doesn't get loaded.

Solution:
After some investigation, I managed to solve the problem as follows:
1) I opened the NWCTxt file using a binary file editor such as hexedit, (available from www.hexedit.com)
2) I deleted using hexedit the beginning of UTF-8 file marker characters "EE BB BF" that Notepad had inserted
3) I saved the binary-edited NWCTxt file

Problem Solved! The NWCTxt file opened without any problems.

Regards,
Ian

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.749741)
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:12|CaretPos:-4
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2015 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:StaffItalic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffBold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7.2|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageTitleText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageSmallText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:16|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Standard Rules|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"testḁ testẙ testẚ testẻ testẽ testỉ testủ testỳ\n"
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Re: Solved: Problems opening UTF-8 files in NWC2.75 Preview 41

Reply #1
1) I opened the NWCTxt file using a binary file editor such as hexedit, (available from www.hexedit.com)
2) I deleted using hexedit the beginning of UTF-8 file marker characters "EE BB BF" that Notepad had inserted
3) I saved the binary-edited NWCTxt file
Apparently, NWC 2.75 does not yet support utf8 with Byte Order Mark.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
You need to have the NWC 2.75 test program running before opening files directly into it from the Windows Shell.

Update (with more info): Changing the default NWC .exe program is not recommended. Your nwc/nwctxt files will open into a running copy of nwc or nwctext. If neither is running, your files will open into the standard released version. This gives you the control over which program will receive opened files from the Windows shell.

Reply #3
Ok sure, that's great. Thank you both for your help and comments,  :)