Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics for chorded notes within special endings (Read 3876 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics for chorded notes within special endings

Maybe someone else can verify this.

Generally, for the first note of a special ending, when I have a chord letter above the note (set as "at next note/bar"), I will add additional horizontal spacing to the first note of the special ending so that both the note and the chord letter moves to the right out of the way of the special ending number(s).

If I use standard rules for lyrics, the lyric also moves (and stays centered) with the adjusted note.  However, If I use "start of note/accidental" for my lyrics, then the lyric stays put a the far left of the measure with a horizontal gap between the lyric and the note that was slid to the right.

There are some songs that I use "standard" rules and others that I use "start of note", but having special endings in the song pretty much forces me into "standard" rules, which isn't always what I want.

Is this expected behavior?

I hope this description made sense.
John

Re: Lyrics for chorded notes within special endings

Reply #1
I hope this description made sense.
I think it makes sense, but it would probably help if you could attach a short NWC clip and/or screen shot where this is happening.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #2
I can do so this evening, but I'm not at my music machine right now.  Just wanted to post it while it was on my mind.
John

Reply #3
I can do so this evening, but I'm not at my music machine right now.  Just wanted to post it while it was on my mind.
I am looking forward to your example. I tried to recreate what you were describing, and I am not seeing the problem you describe. But maybe my example is too simple a case.

Just out of curiosity, what version of NWC are you using? (I tried this in both 2.51a and in the current beta version of 2.75, with identical results.)
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.51)
|Locale|ACP:1252
|Editor|ActiveStaff:2|CaretIndex:9|CaretPos:-2
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2015 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|PrintSystemSepMark:N|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:StaffItalic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffBold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageTitleText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:PageSmallText|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:16|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Standard Rules|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"These are lyr-ics\r\nand so are these.\r\n"
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Spacer|Width:600
|Text|Text:"C"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:8|Placement:AtNextNote
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:14|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Start of Accidental/Note|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"These are lyr-ics\r\nand so are these.\r\n"
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1|Visibility:Always
|Spacer|Width:600
|Text|Text:"C"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:8|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Mike

Reply #4
Hi John,
yes, it makes perfect sense.

When you use "extra note spacing" you are not actually moving the starting position of the note/chord, just adding space between the starting point and where the note/chord actually appears.

As an alternative, why not use spacers before the note/chord?  This actually DOES move the starting point of the note.  This is what I've been doing instead of text white space with preserve widthe set the way I used to.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
After reading Lawrie's reply, I went back and tried using Extra Note Spacing on the first note/chord in the special ending. And lo and behold, it behaves exactly as John described for "Start of note/accidental" lyrics. It hadn't occurred to me that he used extra note spacing to do this.

As you can see, I did use a Spacer element in my example, as Lawrie has suggested, and it doesn't have this problem.

Reply #6
But Lawrie, why would the lyric move using Standard Rules, but not not Start of Note/Accidental.  Even though I moved it over (which was the way we had to do it before spacers were made available), the start of the visible note has moved.

Here are my screen shots for anyone not seeing this:

John

Reply #7
But Lawrie, why would the lyric move using Standard Rules, but not not Start of Note/Accidental.  Even though I moved it over (which was the way we had to do it before spacers were made available), the start of the visible note has moved.

Here are my screen shots for anyone not seeing this:

Not having access to the code (as if I'd really understand it anyway...) my best guess that the standard rules tracks the visible note location while the "Note Rules" tracks only the starting position.

IMHO this is actually consistent.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
In any case - it seems like the answer to the original question is: use spacers instead of extra note spacing for this, and there will be no lyric alignment issues :)

Mike

Reply #9
I guess I'll just have to change my ways, then, and use spacers.

But from a logical perspective, the rule does say "start of note", not "start of default note position".  If the lyric starts in the white space before the note, then that's not the "start of note".

But this old dog can still learn new tricks.  Spacers it is, then.
John

Reply #10
from a logical perspective, the rule does say "start of note", not "start of default note position".  If the lyric starts in the white space before the note, then that's not the "start of note".
Perhaps not on that staff, but if one is using extra note spacing there should be a layer where a notehead or rest appears at the "default note position."
I've found that just about every time I use extra note or accidental  spacing for anything other than the purpose intended, I end up taking it out in the final edit.
Registered user since 1996