Skip to main content

Topic: ChordPlay.nw (Read 2719 times) previous topic - next topic

ChordPlay.nw
ChordPlay enables show and play of a named chord. For play back, the duration of the chord is determined by the indicated Span value, which defines the number of notes/rests for which the chord will play.

The Font, Size, and Style can be set within any instance of ChordPlay, but only the first instance in a staff generally needs to define the font details. By default, all subsequent ChordPlay objects will use the font details specified in the first instance in the staff. If the first instance is being used only for setting default display options, then it will show as a special object.

The following clip will get you started:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Font:MusikChordSerif|Size:8|Style:b|Visibility:Never
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Instrument|Name:"Acoustic Guitar (nylon)"|Patch:24|Bank:0,112|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:-9
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Name:A|Span:1
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:A
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:D
|Bar
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:D
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:F#m
|Bar
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:C#m
|Rest|Dur:Half
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:F#
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:B7
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Span:1|Name:E7
|Bar|Style:LocalRepeatClose|Repeat:4
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
  • Last Edit: 2017-01-12 09:44 am by NoteWorthy Online

Re: ChordPlay.nw
Reply #1
New version with strum direction and improved support for inversions. This clip is a good example of walking the bass note from C5 down to C4 within a chord progression.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.74974,Single)
|Text|Text:"walk the bass note from C5 down to C4"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-11|Color:1|Visibility:Never
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:C|Span:1|Strum:Up|Font:MusikChordSerif|Size:10|Style:Bold|Octave:5
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:G/B|Span:1|Strum:Down|Octave:4
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:Am|Span:1|Strum:Up
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:Am/G|Span:1|Strum:Down
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:F|Span:1|Strum:Up
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:C/E|Span:1|Strum:Down
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:Dm7|Span:1|Strum:Up
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:C|Span:1|Strum:Down

Reply #2
Updated to allow custom key sequences:

|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Name:C|Span:1|Keys:0,4,7,16,19,24,28,31,28,24,19,16,7,4,0
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Name:D|Span:1|Keys:0,4,7,16,19,24,28,31,28,24,19,16,7,4,0
|Bar
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:7|Name:E|Span:1|Keys:0,4,7,16,19,24,28,31,28,24,19,16,7,4,0

Updated again to fix timing errors when spanning small duration intervals.

Reply #3
Updated to allow custom key sequences
Which allows it to be used to retime grace notes:
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,HideRest|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:6|Name:C|Span:3|Keys:0|Octave:5|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:16th|Opts:Stem=Down|Visibility:Never
|User|ChordPlay.nw|Pos:8|Name:E|Span:2|Keys:0|Octave:5|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:16th|Opts:Stem=Down|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:16th,Grace|Pos:-6^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First,Muted
|Note|Dur:16th,Grace|Pos:-4^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End,Muted
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-6,-4,-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Updated to support new property menu and native font selection dialog.

After adding a ChordPlay.nw object, you can refine its behavior by either right clicking on its anchor, or by selecting it and pressing J.

Reply #5
I have to record my continued objection to the way the development and implementation of user objects is going.

1. When inserting a user object it is really counter productive to have to insert it blind without setting any parameters and then edit it using select and "j"  to look through each parameter to see what is set in there to see if you want / need to change it. What a waste of effort and additional keying action

2. Noteworthy Objects can normally be seen traditionally by selecting the object and pressing ALT and ENTER. With this new method, you can only see items that have been changed from the default. There is nowhere you can now see a list of parameters and how they have been set without numerous key actions via select and "j".

3. The only parameters passed in a copy to an nwctxt clip is defaults that have been changed. This means that if you want to do global changes on parameters via a text editor, you have to go and deliberately alter one so that it gets passed via nwctxt to the text editor. What a waste of time and effort.

Not being able to see what the parameters are and being able to change them when inserting a new object is a leap backward.
Not having all parameters in nwctxt for a particular user object is a leap backward.
Not having parameters displayed in the user object properties box unless they are not the default is a leap backward.

I've had my say !  I would ask for these leaps backward to be re-considered.

Rich.

Reply #6
2. Noteworthy Objects can normally be seen traditionally by selecting the object and pressing ALT and ENTER.
Which brings up a Property Sheet that is customized for each object. That will not happen for User Objects.

We have been down this road with wxphp and User Tools. My head still hurts from the experience ...
Edit: Added strikethrough. My head hurts, but I am dealing with it.
  • Last Edit: 2015-08-16 11:23 pm by Rick G.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Updated to include an integrated user tool, ChordPlay.nw: Convert Text Chords (new tool requires 2.75a Beta 2 or later)

Reply #8
Updated as follows:

• When not using Lawrie Pardy's chord fonts, '#' and 'b' are automatically mapped to true flat and sharp characters for display purposes.
  • When using one of Lawrie Pardy's Germanic chord fonts, B and Bb are automatically remapped to H and B for display purposes.

Reply #9
Updated to protect from a song position out of range error when playing or exporting to a MIDI file.

Reply #10
My daughter can read the chords written "the english way" but many of her friends don't.
It's a pity this tool doesn't manage "the italian way" too (I mean: Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si).

Today I learned, courtesy of Mike, that these objects transpose automatically.
Very good, but I found no reference of it in the instructions.