Skip to main content

Topic: TremoloSingle.ms (2.0e) (Read 2616 times) previous topic - next topic

TremoloSingle.ms (2.0e)
This object implements a single note tremolo, as described in various texts. It draws the tremolo markings, and will optionally play the notes in tremolo style.

To create the tremolo, insert the object immediately before the note to receive the tremolo, and the marking will be drawn on the note's stem, or above/below a whole (semibreve) note. The note can be any chord or RestChord.

The following parameters control the appearance and playback of the tremolo:

Number of Beams: Specifies the number of beams to be drawn, between 1 and 4. The default value is 3. The number of beams for a tremolo can also be modified by highlighting the object and pressing the + or - keys.
Vertical Offset: Specifies an optional offset distance for the location of the beam(s). For stemmed notes, positive values move the beams away from the stem tip and toward the note head. For unstemmed (whole) notes, positive values move the beams away from the note head. The default value is 0.
Play Notes: Enables playback of the tremolo. Default value is checked. Note that the notes/chords should be muted for proper playback.
Triplet Playback: Specifies that the playback notes should be in triplet rhythm. This will generally be used when the tremolo notes are dotted. Default value is unchecked.
Split Chord Member: Specifies which split chord member (top or bottom) should receive the tremolo marking and be played. This parameter is ignored for non-split chords and rest chords. The default value is "top".

For eighth through 64th notes, the tremolo beams will be auto-positioned to avoid collision with the note's beam or flag.  If additional space is needed to accommodate a larger number of beams, increase the note's stem length, and/or specify an Offset value if desired.

The following sample clip will get you started. The screen shot demonstrates various types of tremolos, with the bottom staff indicating the actual notes that are played.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:0|Beams:3|Offset:0|Play:Y
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Muted
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:0|Beams:2|Offset:0|Play:Y
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=8,Beam=First,Muted
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=8,Beam=End,Muted
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Muted
|Bar
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:0|Offset:0|Beams:2|Play:Y
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=6,Muted
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
  • Last Edit: 2018-03-02 05:29 pm by Mike Shawaluk

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (version 0.95)
Reply #1
The TremoloSingle.ms object has been updated, with the following changes:

• Help text is added
  • Minor rendering adjustments

Please refer to the parent post for a description of the available parameters and a sample clip.

As always, feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike
  • Last Edit: 2015-09-07 04:26 pm by Mike Shawaluk

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (version 0.96)
Reply #2

• Change beam positioning logic for whole notes, for correct "stem side" detection
  • Help text is updated

Please refer to the parent post for a description of the available parameters and a sample clip.

As always, feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike

• Last Edit: 2015-09-07 04:26 pm by Mike Shawaluk

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (version 1.0)
Reply #3
I have a split chord with tremolo.
I put the "tremolo single" object before the chords and one part is OK.
My idea was to put a second "tremolo single" object before the chords and then forcing it on the other side using the "offset" parameter, but it doesn't work.
Of course I solved putting the two chord on two layered staves, but why not to have the possibility to choose which stem (up or down) will receive the tremolo?

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (version 1.0)
Reply #4
The TremoloSingle object does not work correctly for split voice chords whose durations are different. From what I can tell, it will play all of the notes in tremolo style, but only for the duration of the shorter of the notes/chords. And as you have noticed, it will add the ornament only to the "main" stem.

I will look into adding a way to ornament both stems of a split voice chord.
  • Last Edit: 2015-10-11 11:11 pm by Mike Shawaluk

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (1.1)
Reply #5

• New parameter added to allow marking and playback of either top or bottom portion of split chords

Reply #6
Thank you, Mike.
By the way: in my case the duration of the notes is the same.
The fact that the chord is splitted is because of... the number of fingers. The lower part is to be played with the left hand while the upper with the right.

Reply #7
Hi Mike,

This is a slight problem when using tremolo single on a rest chord if the stem direction is set to allow stem down on the note portion of the rest chord. The playback does not play! I don't recall this happening on initial testing but there may have been later changes that have caused this to happen.

Thanks
Rich.

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (1.2)
Reply #8

• The Split Chord Member parameter is now ignored for rest chord playback - the chord portion will always be used.

Reply #9
How can I select which side of the chord the tremolo marker is shown?
For example, I would like to have the second tremolo marker too above the chord:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:-7|Beams:2
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3,0,2|Opts:Muted
|Bar
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:-2.5|Beams:2
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-2,1,3|Opts:Muted
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
No parameter seems to be of help. Vertical offset stops at -5.
I'm overlooking something?

Reply #10
It uses the stem direction, which can be set on those whole notes. Just flip the stem direction...

|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:-7|Beams:2
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3,0,2|Opts:Muted
|Bar
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:-2.5|Beams:2
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-2,1,3|Opts:Stem=Up,Muted

Reply #11
But... it was the first thing I tried!
Or, at least, it was the first thing I though to try...  :-[

A strong need of holidays, perhaps...

Reply #12
Ops!
|User|TremoloSingle.ms|Pos:1.5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Muted

Reply #13
That's not technically an "oops"; you have to make sure your note stem is long enough to accommodate the number of bars for the tremolo.

For NWC 2.75a, there will be an embedded user tool that applies (or removes) tremolos from one or more notes. It is possible for the tool to automatically set the stem length when a tremolo is added, but the calculation can be a bit tricky; it depends on whether the note is beamed or flagged, as well as the note's duration. Personally I would rather let the note stem length be adjusted by the user to meet their preference. With the new version of NWC, that is easy to do, using Alt+Up/Down (or using filtered properties if you are adjusting multiple notes).

Reply #14
Stupid as usual, since the stem length of the 1/4 is long enough I assumed that the same length is OK also for 1/8...
Sorry.

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (2.0d)
Reply #15
The TremoloSingle.ms object has been updated for version 2.75a, with the following changes:

• An embedded user tool has been added, which allows tremolo markings to be added or removed for selected notes.
  • Interactive editing of the object's parameters has been added, using the numeric keypad. Please see this post for more information.

Reply #16
A couple of observations:
  • If you insert a dynamic between the object and the note then it is ignored. Easy not to do it but it can happen accidently.
  • Playback ignores crescendos.

Reply #17
A couple of observations:
  • If you insert a dynamic between the object and the note then it is ignored. Easy not to do it but it can happen accidently.
  • Playback ignores crescendos.
The object determines the score's current dynamic variance at the location where the object is placed, and then it will play the tremolo at that volume. If you place the dynamic to the right of the object, it isn't seen, and it will play at the previous volume.

If you want to effect a crescendo/diminuendo for a tremolo, please refer to this discussion for the two-note tremolo object.

Re: TremoloSingle.ms (2.03)
Reply #18
The TremoloSingle.ms object has been updated with the following changes:

• The range of permissable values for the Offset parameter has been increased from ±5 to ±10.