Skip to main content
Topic: Read-only Tracks and Step-Play (Read 2757 times) previous topic - next topic

Read-only Tracks and Step-Play

Can I set individual tracks in NWC to read-only ? This is so that I can download a simple say 3 track file as a pattern and build a more complex say 10 track file from it by extracting and editing bits and pieces of the pattern. It is much easier to do if all the tracks are together and aligned bar-by-bar but it is all too easy to start editing a pattern track by mistake when chaos soon ensues.

Second question - is there a 'Step Play' facility ?. This would be useful for refining those tricky bits.

Aagain thanks fo your help -

Bruce Miles

Re: Read-only Tracks and Step-Play

Reply #1
Can I set individual tracks in NWC to read-only ? This is so that I can download a simple say 3 track file as a pattern and build a more complex say 10 track file from it by extracting and editing bits and pieces of the pattern. It is much easier to do if all the tracks are together and aligned bar-by-bar but it is all too easy to start editing a pattern track by mistake when chaos soon ensues.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but you can mark a staff as hidden, and it will still play. (Go to Page Setup to do this.) That would prevent accidental edits.

Mike

Reply #2
Second question - is there a 'Step Play' facility ?. This would be useful for refining those tricky bits.

Again, maybe not the best way, but you could insert a reallllllly slow tempo command. (You've probably already figured this one out, but just in case...)

Mike

Reply #3
As Mike implied, in each case the answer is "no." There is a command to play a single staff (<Shift><F5>), but no way to play an individual note, other than as you place it. My own way of dealing with protecting a staff I don't want to accidentally change is to give it a different color. That way, if I accidentally land in it, I know immediately. You can also set the play volume of the staff you want to protect to zero; when you don't hear a note as you place it, you'll know you've placed it in the wrong staff.

Reply #4
This is not Step Play, but Tools/Options/Midi - "Play" dropdown includes "from insertion point" and "from current measure" in its selections. I use "from insertion point" - I find it a help when checking out a local area when I don't want to listen to the whole piece.

Reply #5
Yes a different colour is the best answer to the read only problem and a very slow tempo to the step-play issue. Whether these tracks are muted or hidden is not really the issue. Thanks for all the responses.

Bruce Miles