Skip to main content
Topic: Why no keyboard shortcut for Print Preview? (Read 2629 times) previous topic - next topic

Why no keyboard shortcut for Print Preview?

Given that NWC2 is NOT WYSIWYG software...I'm wondering why there is no Print Preview keyboard shortcut?

I estimate that 90% of my time is spent on editing the music (since I use MIDI input from a keyboard to actually enter the notes) and after every little edit, I need to click on the 'print preview' icon, go to the page where I edited, maybe zoom in/out, then close close the print-preview page. Gets very tiresome!

Or am I missing something obvious?

Re: Why no keyboard shortcut for Print Preview?

Reply #1
You can get very close to a WYSIWYG view in Viewer Mode. That's the eyeglasses button in the button bar; the F11 key is a shortcut. Two caveats: it doesn't show system breaks, and since each printer positions score objects slightly differently, there are likely to be small differences between Viewer Mode and Print Preview. So you'll still have to make the final adjustments the old way. But Viewer Mode will normally give you a good approximation.

Reply #2
This won't solve the issue of their not being a shortcut, but there are a few things that might save you time:

If your cursor is inserted at the point of your most recent edit, when you Print Preview, it will show you that page initially (so you shouldn't need to navigate to it)

Also, you can press Esc to close the Print Preview window.

Finally, if you have a keyboard that lets you remap its special keys, you could program one of them to send Alt-F, V (which will open the Print Preview).

Mike

Reply #3
I'm wondering why there is no Print Preview keyboard shortcut?
Good luck. NoteWorthy usually does not comment on such musings. The feature has been requested over the years. I support such requests.

I need to click on the 'print preview' icon, go to the page where I edited, maybe zoom in/out, then close close the print-preview page.
If you position the edit cursor to the page you want to see, Print Preview will display that page. Previous versions were often off by a page. NWC 2.51a goes to the correct page for me.

I agree. It would be most helpful if NWC remembered the zoom level. If it did, a keyboard shortcut, if added, would be even more useful.

Bill's advice to use the viewer mode to reduce trips to preview mode.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thank you all! Definitely a couple of helpful suggestions for me to play with...

Reply #5
Well, I use Alt-F V a lot for this.
It is my keyboard shortcut - three keys, OK, but it takes me less maybe 0.2 seconds to type this combination.