Skip to main content
Topic: NoteWorthy Composer vs. Alternatives (Read 9829 times) previous topic - next topic

NoteWorthy Composer vs. Alternatives

A friend of mine gave me a copy of NoteWorthy Composer that he had downloaded but had never had the time to try out. I gave it a try and loved it. Before buying it, however, I would like to know what experience people have had with other products.

My friend had tried some version of Cakewalk and was very unimpressed with ease of use. When I showed him the copy of NoteWorthy he had given me, he was impressed that it seemed to be able to do the things he wanted.

Does anyone have any experieces with other products that they would like to share?

Re: NoteWorthy Composer vs. Alternatives

Reply #1
Tall order. But I'll give it a try. I've extensively used Cubasis Audio and Cubasis AV, and while there are some things I still use them for, NWC is by far my preferred program. I've also used Cakewalk, Performer (on Macintosh), Mozart, and probably a half-dozen other programs in my quest for the most flexible music composition program. I've even dabbled briefly with the awful MusixTex (and the adjective I just used should give an idea of what I think of it). It's important to me to have a program that is fast and easy to use, flexible in formatting, gives good printed output, allows easy PostScript exporting, import/exports midi, and is capable of giving a good midi "performance." While all of the programs I've tried did some of these things well, NWC is the only one I've found that does all of them.

Add the incredible support network that has grown around this amazing program (of which this Forum is only one small part) and you have a bargain the likes of which I've never seen in my 20-or-so years of computer dabbling.

Buy it! You won't regret it.

Reply #2
"Buy it! You won't regret it."

I echo Fred's sentiments to the letter. Sure, there's things NWC doesn't do (but we're working on it via the Wish List!), but there is SO MUCH IT DOES DO.

As Fred already pointed out, the support network is nothing short of TERRIFIC! I challenge you to find the same level of support, as provided here by Noteworthy Artware and users of NWC, on any other product. The support has been worth a great deal to me, as there is nothing more frustrating than to have a question about a feature, how it works, how to do it, etc., and have to wait days or weeks for an answer from a vendor (or pay $25 per phone call just to ask the question.) There is so much of NWC I haven't even tapped yet, but when I do and need help, here is where I'll come. I'll get all the help I need, including clever workarounds to wishes not yet granted!

Buy it.

Reply #3
I have used both MusicProse and Finale from Coda Software. MusicProse is no longer available, however I would compare it favorably with NWC. There are a few features it has that NWC does not (I've put them on my wish list), however that program was over 4 times as much to purchase as NWC. Finale is an extremely powerful program with an amazing array of features. Yet, learning the program takes an equally amazing amount of time. Also, Finale is almost 10 times the cost of NWC (and that is at the academic/institution discount). Many of the limitations of NWC are not as bad as they seem if you are creative and use the tips and tricks offered by experienced users. For the price and ease of use, I'd say NWC is the best value available.

Reply #4
Living in the middle of nowhere, as I do, I really lucked out when a few years ago I found a copy of Noteworthy sitting on a shelf. Since I got the internet I downloaded just about any midi/notation program I could find. Noteworthy is still my first choice, I do not regret my purchase.

Reply #5
My main instrument is drums and my secondary piano. Unfortunately neither are things one can easy transport between countries or by in pairs due to costs on both occasions. So this poor fella that is a student in the UK, away from his homeland, Greece, nearly lost his mind with the lack of music playing and writting. Until a friend gave him a copy of Cubase VST (don't tell Steinberg!). And after spending hours trying to learn about midi and Cubase, he thought he should give up music because that program was God's curse to musicians. Then my dear friend Nikos Hantzinikolaou pointed to me this program. Presently I use exclusively NWC to compose music for a band across Europe, and spend hours on end enjoying both its creational simplicity and its educational value. If one is into music (amateurely or professionally) and owns a computer, NWC is a MUST.

Reply #6
Not to mention that if you need support from Steinberg... Rotsa Ruck!

Reply #7
I was lucky enough to discover NWC via the web, and having tried lots of alternatives, like Cubase (Unbelievably confusing at times), Cakewalk (Nice, but you have very little control over things like how many lyric lines you can have, and how big lyrics font is) NWC, although I've only had it a week, is the best. I wish it had some more features, like glissando marks, but I'm sure that will come. And what an amazing price!