Skip to main content
Topic: I'm having trouble with my repeats etc. (Read 5186 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm having trouble with my repeats etc.

The Scherzo from Franz Lachner's 8th Symphony that I've been working on,when I try playing it through, goes normally at first observing all the repeats properly until the "da capo" of the scherzo after the trio when it comes to a dead halt at the end of the opening section, despite the "Fine" being placed at the far end of the main Scherzo. I think I have all the repeats and special endings properly sorted out. I just don't know what can have gone wrong now.. Any ideas please? I'd be happy to send the NWC file as an email attachment to anyone who might be able to get it right for me. Sorry to be such a nuisance.
Cheers,
     John

Re: I'm having trouble with my repeats etc.

Reply #1
Hi John,

On the repeats, as well as the repeat number, you also need to include the "D" setting - this is the one that needs to be there for a single repeat after a DC .

If that doesn't work for you, feel free to post it to me and I'll tae a look.

Rich.

Reply #2
Thanks for the tip Richard, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "D" setting.
      Cheers,
           John.
Cheers,
     John

Reply #3
John

If you press "S" to bring up  the special endings dialog, you will see that you have the options 1st Ending through to 7th Ending and then a further Default ending. You need to select this "D" ending against the measures that you want played after your DC instruction as well as the other options that get played before the DC.

Rich.

Reply #4
Thanks once again Richard, but I've tried various options ending up with a "D" in front of every special ending on all staves and I'm still back to square one in that it just comes to a dead halt at the end of the  1st section of the scherzo  after the trio. Any further ideas please?
Cheers,
     John

Reply #5
Not every special ending - Just the one you need it to go to after the DC instruction.

(You can send it to me if you like and I'll have a look).

Rich.

Reply #6
(You can send it to me if you like and I'll have a look).
A 25.3MB pdf is at: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/3/3d/IMSLP104637-PMLP213701-Lachner_F._-_100_-_Symphony_c_fs.pdf
The Scherzo starts at either 105 or 109, depending on how you count pages.
By my count, 232 measures later, it ends with the attached graphic :)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Thanks Rick, it may be useful if John decides to send the nwc score.
I've downloaded it.
Rich.

Reply #8
As mentioned in an earlier thread (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9021.0), I have encountered difficulties in playback when mixing text repeats such as "D.C." or "D.S" with master and local repeats.

I have attached lachner_scherzo_1.nwc which is notated as per score (simplified for illustrative purposes). During playback, the music returns to the Segno symbol, but skips the first repeat ending, and goes on to the second ending without repeat, onto the Fine.

To overcome the above missing 1st repeat at the end, my solution in lachner_scherzo_2.nwc is to copy the entire 1st part of the Scherzo up to the Trio, and paste it at the end. However, please note that I have had to copy the 2nd measure at the start of the movement as an additional measure into the final 1st ending, because the Segno in the score is placed after this measure.

Hopefully, lachner_scherzo_2.nwc should play back as per the flow direction intended by the composer.

As per Richard's post:
Traditionally, after a DS or DC instruction, if after the instruction, a repeated section is encountered with more than one special ending, then only one is performed. If there are two special endings, then the second one is usually used.

Skipping the 1st repeat at the end is traditionally correct after a DC or DS, therefore lachner_scherzo_1.nwc is correct as per the score, without the need for any additional copying or pasting.

Reply #9
Traditionally, after a DS or DC instruction, if after the instruction, a repeated section is encountered with more than one special ending, then only one is performed. If there are two special endings, then the second one is usually used.

In Noteworthy, to define that occurrence, you have the "D" or default special ending so that you can actually define which of the special endings to use.

This reference link refers http://learnmusictheory.net/PDFs/pdffiles/01-01-08-RepeatSigns.pdf
(I find both Alfred's and Gould's less than helpful in this matter).

However, since this is only a traditional method of performing when a repeat section with special endings is encountered, there will be those who choose not to follow tradition. In those instances, anyone wanting to do something different will need to manipulate NoteWorthy in such a way that it will follow the desired route.  One such method is to write out the relevant sections again such as shown by the example posted by ilow99.

I believe I also remember Rick G. posting a method, a while ago, to do this with special endings rather than re-write a section. Do I remember correctly Rick?

Rich.

Reply #10
I believe I also remember Rick G. posting a method, a while ago, to do this with special endings rather than re-write a section. Do I remember correctly Rick?
You remember correctly.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #11
Thanks once again, everyone, for taking so much trouble to help me. I've now sent the relevant file to Richard by email so that he can tell me where I've slipped up.
     Cheers,
          John.
Cheers,
     John

Reply #12
Richard has now very kindly gone over my Noteworthy score and sorted out all the repeats, so that it now works perfectly.
 I should like to take the opportunity to thank Richard and all you good people who made all those helpful suggestions.
     Cheers,
        John.
Cheers,
     John

Reply #13
Hi John,

You had a problem similar to mine, and I just posted something in Tips and Tricks.
You may want to look at it, if only for some fun.

Also note that this method goes off the rails if you insert extra double barlines!
Anyway, no more problems with flow directions, I hope.

cheers, Rob.