Skip to main content
Topic: Chord Fonts (Read 2751 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord Fonts

I need to add guitar chords to an SATB score, but the only solutions I've found require using additional fonts that don't come with NWC. Unfortunately (unless I'm missing something), I can only use one font for staff metrics, so there's no easy way achieve WYSIWYG appearance in the NWC editor when I have to mix, for example, Times New Roman with a special music font.

My other concern is that, though there seem to be free music fonts available for download, my concern is whether other people to whom I give NWC files have to download the special music fonts separately.  Are "external" fonts automatically included in the resulting NWC file, or do I have to tell my visitors to download music fonts on their own? Telling thousands of Web site visitors to download additional fonts is not a practical solution.

Perhaps my techniques are dated, but the fact that such a common feature (guitar chords) is so fraught with difficulty seems to be a serious deficiency in the software, & makes me difficult for me  to recommend the current version of NoteWorthy Composer to others.

Re: Chord Fonts

Reply #1
My other concern is that, though there seem to be free music fonts available for download, my concern is whether other people to whom I give NWC files have to download the special music fonts separately.  Are "external" fonts automatically included in the resulting NWC file, or do I have to tell my visitors to download music fonts on their own? Telling thousands of Web site visitors to download additional fonts is not a practical solution.

I will let someone else comment on the other questions, but let me try to answer this one. If you are sharing NWC files that will be viewed using the free NWC Viewer, there are a number of free fonts that are bundled with the viewer, that will be correctly displayed for scores which use them when opened in the viewer. Attached is a copy of the viewer's fonts.ini file (renamed to fonts.txt), which lists the fonts that are available.

However, your issue is still valid if licensed NWC users wish to view your scores with the standalone program. I believe that there is a page on Noteworthy's site that links to most of these free fonts. (Edit: It is here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/uc/pardypack/ )

Mike

Reply #2
For what it's worth, my font suites have been included on the NWC CD since V2.1 IIRC - in any case, I believe they are now automatically installed with the viewer and are also available from the scripto as well as the NWC site:
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/uc/pardypack/index.htm

This site also contains links to the Scripto location and to my personal web site.

All of my suites include a font specifically designed for chord notation.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Fonts are a problem for audio,sure, but if you merely want to display, or provide hard copy, why not just print to pdf?