Skip to main content
Topic: Dynamics, Volume and Velocities (Read 4767 times) previous topic - next topic

Dynamics, Volume and Velocities

I'm working on a tool to change Dynamic Volumes according to Tina Billet's document http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful/dynamics.pdf, in order to have a (de)crescendo has also affect during the playing of long notes.
So I will use her formula "(Velocity * default volume)/highest dynamic velocity" for calculating the required volume of a specific dynamic.
But I'm not sure about the velocities: shall I leave them unchanged, or do I have to use the highest dynamic velocity for each dynamic?
Example: If the default volume is set to 120 and DynVal = (25,35,45,55,68,80,92,108), we become, using the formula, a value of 50 for the volume of dynamic 'p'. That's clear. But should it become "p[-, 50]" (which will be the same as p[45,50], or is p[108,50] the correct result?

Thanks in advance for all expert advices!
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: Dynamics, Volume and Velocities

Reply #2
Rich,
the link to the scripto in Opagust's post leads to "Forbidden File Access".
Reaching it from within the scripto works fine.

While browsing the "helpful" page I discovered that Lars Ahlzen's "Live! Center" page (http://atlas.hemmet.chalmers.se/livecenter/) is no more reachable.

It was a long time since I last accessed that page! ;-)

Reply #3
Rich,
the link to the scripto in Opagust's post leads to "Forbidden File Access".
Reaching it from within the scripto works fine.

It appears that the Scriptorium is set to prevent 3rd party linking to that document (and probably others). As you've noticed, searching for the document within the Scriptorium, or copying/pasting the URL into a new browser window, will allow the page to be viewed.

Reply #4
It appears that the Scriptorium is set to prevent 3rd party linking to that document (and probably others). As you've noticed, searching for the document within the Scriptorium, or copying/pasting the URL into a new browser window, will allow the page to be viewed.

Quite correct.  I've had considerable trouble from Korean sites who just steal all of the content and then put it up as their site. They do not obey any site etiquette with respect to items that they can and can't take.

The only option was only to allow access to the files if the referring URL was the Scriptorium itself. Trying to use HTTPS does not work either (before you ask).

The best option is to reference the main HTML page and say to people to search for the relevant document within that page.

Rich.

Reply #5
Quite correct.  I've had considerable trouble from Korean sites who just steal all of the content and then put it up as their site. They do not obey any site etiquette with respect to items that they can and can't take.

The only option was only to allow access to the files if the referring URL was the Scriptorium itself. Trying to use HTTPS does not work either (before you ask).

The best option is to reference the main HTML page and say to people to search for the relevant document within that page.

Is it difficult to white-list specific domains? I.e. if you allowed links from www.noteworthysoftware.com,  people could post messages in the forum with links to those pages. (And I'm not suggesting that you need to do that, just asking whether that might be a possibility.)

Mike

Reply #6
Tried, haven't been able to achieve that.  

The problem is that on the forum, when a link to another site is posted, it rightly uses target=blank (this ensures that a new tab is opened up for the link rather than using the page that the user is on). Because of this, the referring site becomes blank and so the link is still blocked because the referrer does not appear to be Noteworthy.

When the message comes up saying "Forbidden File Access" you will see that it also has a link to the Scripto search engine to search for the document that has been forbidden. Clicking on this link in this case (Dynamics.pdf), it does come back and tell you that the resource is probably in the helpful files section with a link to that page.
Rich.

Reply #7
Rich,
now I remember you already explained that sometime ago.
Sorry!